Oct 12, 2016

Vanity Fairest


There's something so pretty and feminine about a vanity table.  It's not just a place for primping but rather to sit and reflect.  Vanities are almost a thing of the past - hence you're sure to find them at antique shops.  For me, vanities evoke the image of a mother powdering her nose, applying rouge to her cheeks or perfume behind her ears while her little girl sits in admiration.  Vanities have a sense of past time and tradition, mine especially.  

Side Note:  My favorite vanity is that of Scarlett O'Hara's in 'Gone with the Wind' - that scene in her gaudy red dress #epic 

In today's era bathroom counters are a gal's vanity. Myself included.  I mean who wants have make up mess on furniture and we all know a big mirror and natural light from the window is essential.  Not to mention outlets and countertops are needed for the heated styling tools we use on our hair.  It's just practical to primp in our bathrooms today.

What I do use my vanity for is jewelry, perfume and my quiet devotional time. 

This vanity is actually a desk.  It was a part of the bedroom suit my Mamma had a child which was handed down to me at about age 6, then when I went to college it became my little sister's and now I have the pieces back in our new home.  I remember my Mamma using it as a desk to pay bills and write letters and how I used it to do my homework and create art projects as a kid.

I love that it's back in my world.  I have countless memories with this piece.  Something I did when incorporating it into our home was to add the mirror that originally pairs with the long dresser of the suit.  That piece is in our guest room.  
I also placed it on my side of the bed to act as a bedside table until I find a matching set I love.  I shared our bed and custom linens earlier in this post.  That was the start of furnishing and decorating our boudoir.  It's been a much longer task than I ever anticipated!  

This vanity was repainted with gold trim and brushing by my mother decades ago but over the years it's seen a lot of love and needs a fresh coat. I just can't bring myself to do it.  Distressed furniture is not my style at all but those chips, dings and scratches are memories. 


What makes this vanity so special is it's heirloom elements.  The fabric on top at one time covered a vanity table that belonged to my grandmother.  Her vanity was a simple table top. So that I could access the drawers, I neatly folded one side under.  She was and always will be my inspiration so I find it sweet to think of her when I see the light roses of this cover. The oval mirror tray was also hers.

The bride & groom figurine along with the crystal perfume bottle and crystal ring holder were gifts from Mr's parents.

The drawers house trays of baubles and other things like my bible, devotionals, books, and a flashlight.
I like to do my devotionals sitting at my vanity because it's a quiet space with lots of special reminders.  It's my nook.

Speaking of sitting, this chair cushion was in shabby shape until I decided to recover it.  I left the original fabric underneath for sentimental sake but went a bit on the modern and fun side when choosing a textured leopard fabric.  It was surprisingly easy to do.  The cushion unscrews and all you need is a staple gun to attach.



Perfumes are just lovely!  The bottles and floral scents tickle all the senses in a happy way.  I find perfume to be fancy.  My all time favorite is the original Chanel Chance Eau De Parfum.  I've been wearing it since high school an have no intentions of ever changing my signature scent! My Mamma gifts it to me for Christmas.  She also gave me the Coco Mademoiselle.

The round gold bottle is Kate Spade's 'Twirl'.  My gal pal and I each bought a bottle while on vacation because we loved the light scent. Sadly it's discontinued. The last bottle is Mr's cologne.  My Mamma gifted it to him as well.  There is something so handsome about a man that smells good.  He practices medicine so he only wears it on date nights and for church so I'm sure to be found sitting extra close to him on the weekends :) My favorite men's fragrance is Chanel's Bleu De Chanel.  Mr always puts it on when we are out shopping in a department store.  I'm going to have to get him some for Christmas.


These framed pictures are of my Mamma in her wedding dress and of myself in my wedding pearls.  I find pictures of brides to be the most beautiful.

The Chanel box was a gift from Mr right before we left Charlotte when moving to the military base over 3 years ago.  He wanted to gift me something nice to soften that sadness of leaving.  I keep special notes and trinkets in it.


The lamp is tall because as you read in my post about our linens, our bed is extra high and it fits the space.


It's not uncommon to find sweet Scragley sitting in my vanity chair.  Imitation is the highest form of flattery!

Create a space in your home that's special to you with heirlooms or just pretty things that make you smile.  Every gal needs a place to go to, to feel pretty and spend time with herself.

Vanity Tables: Here - Here - Here - Here 


Dress Yourself and Home Beautifully with a Vanity

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: