Aug 31, 2015

Shifting Gears


The shift: A loose, straight and unwaisted dress.

Personally, I almost always wear 'sheath' dresses - a more fitted dress with a waist seam.  The reason being, I carry my weight in my legs/lower body rather than my torso, therefore in following my rule of 'dressing your body' I choose to highlight my upper body with waist defining garments.

That being said, you can't limit yourself to one style.  The key is finding the right cuts for you.  I often hear gals say that they can't wear certain items ... breaks my heart!  It's a crime to limit yourself, you  most certainly can wear a variety of styles (within reason - hot pants aren't good on anyone!) it's all about the right fabric and design!

My fear with shift dresses, was that my petite frame would be lost in the fabric.  Key things to look for when shopping for a shift:  The fabric should skim the body not cling or swallow, the hem should hit above the knee (proportions make or break a look), and there should be interest (detailed neckline, print, embellishment etc...)

This dress is in a crepe fabric and lined, it skims the body with a longer hem in the back (love this feature as I don't feel so boxy and exposed when moving), and it has a unique neckline with a deep V (elongating) and mock collar. I also adore that it has sleeves - helps conceal undergarments and great for transitioning into cooler temps.

Speaking of transitioning - this is the last unofficial week of summer Noooooo! I'm not ready! Gals, wear your whites because after Labor day those brights are off to storage til Easter.
FYI - this dress is Ivory so appropriate for all year wear.

My personal world is also embarking on a new season.  I'm back to city living in Charlotte, hunting for a new career, joining back up with my church & Junior League and braving life without Mr til next Summer.  Change is scary but it's great for helping us grow.
I've learned over the past 2 years as a military wife, that new adventures bring learnings and blessings you just can't imagine - so I'm diving in with arms wide open to God's perfect plan.

Maybe you need to shift gears in your wardrobe or in your life or maybe even both :) Do so beautifully!





Shift Dress: Nordstrom || Booties: Louise et Cie Similar  Here & Here ||
Earrings: Towne & Reese || Bracelet: Hermes || Gold Cuff: J Crew ||   

Dress Beautifully in a Shift Dress

XOXO Sarah Louise

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this look on you! I'm glad that you tried it. :) Thanks for the tips, too. The tip that stood out to me the most was choosing the right fabric and designs that work for me, allowing me to try more than only one style.

Dress Beautifully said...

Thanks so much Christine! You're welcome - I'm tickled pink you found it helpful :)
XOXO
SL