Jun 14, 2019

Summer Skin

Just in case you didn't know, your skin is your largest organ which means it's health should definitely be a priority to you. I often feel as though it's taken for granted and forgotten about when it comes to it's care. We know to exercise to keep our heart and muscles strong, to avoid harmful substances for our liver & lungs and to eat healthy, drink water and sleep to nourish all our organs.

When it comes to our skin I believe aesthetics often trump health. We enhance it's beauty with makeup and fill it with creams, serums and injectables in efforts to preserve it's youth.
But let me tell you the most important thing you can do for your skin ... Sunscreen!!!


All the creams and chemicals can't save you from sun damage.  And nothing is more damaging on your skin than the sun.
Don't stop slathering your creams, serums or plumping your wrinkles with a little Botox but the #1 anti-aging treatment is sunscreen.
Reminder: Your face does not stop at your chin, you MUST include your neck and chest!!!

I'm never ever going to tell you to avoid the sun, because I believe outdoor time is the best way to live but just as your skin protects your body, protect your skin with sunscreen.

Facts:
100% proven fact the Sun causes Skin Cancer
SPF = % of UV rays blocked
Makeup with SPF is not concentrated enough to protect your skin

SPF 30 blocks 97% of UV rays so anything higher is negligible.  The key is to reapply.
Anything below SPF 30 is not protecting your skin.

There are 2 types of sunscreens, Chemical and Physical:
Chemical active ingredients are Octinoxate, Avobenzone, Oxybenzone
Physical active ingredients are Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide

Physical sunscreens are a shield and reflect rays.  They are typically a thick white cream that can be more difficult to apply and leave a white film. Despite this I prefer them, at least for my face and for baby girl.

Chemical sunscreens absorb the rays and convert them to heat. There is no study saying that they are harmful or less effective. They make great sprays which are easier to apply so I use those for my body.


Confession: My glow-in-the-dark freckly self used to attempt to bronze myself for hours underneath the sun unprotected while I was in college. I know, I know, one of the biggest mistakes I've made but I know better now and I act better.

So just say no to wrinkles and cancer and yes to sunscreen!

Also, say no to tan lines because they're positivity TACKY!


Here are some good ones to use:

A gal pal recommended Blue Lizard to me because she loves it!  It's made of natural ingredients and they're an environmentally friendly!!  They have an amazing kid and baby line of products.


Neutrogena makes great products that are free of icky chemicals - here are some for you and your littles. These are what I use.


Sun Bum has a great line of mineral based sunscreens


Supergoop also has a mission to prevent skin cancer with their line of SPF mineral products.


Cotz is a brand I recently discovered and used their face sunscreen when we were at the beach last week.  They are free from chemicals and have a great tinted line to avoid the 'white' look.


BeautyCounter is another brand of products that's all the rage.  I haven't tried any yet but from what I hear this particular sunscreen is hydrating and smells amazing.


PS Don't forget to add a hat for extra shade!

Dress Beautifully in Sunscreen

XOXO Sarah-Louise


No comments: