Feb 16, 2016

Bourbon & Blush


This is a first.  I have a twin set in my closet.  With my affinity for classic and timeless pieces  it's ironic, even to myself, that I don't own such a fundamental garment as a cardigan.  I've always chosen blazers over cardigans.  I prefer the structure, durability, and sophistication that a jacket brings.
And now I'm enjoying the softness and movement of the warm wool snug against my skin.

Tip:  To avoid the cardigan cons of stretching, and piling choose a set made of wool or a silk blend.  And invest in this Gleener Ultimate Fuzz Remover to gently remove those pesky fuzz balls. 

I'm guilty of stereotyping cardigans as mature, and frumpy.  The key to avoiding the librarian/granny look is styling. Pair with modern, edgy and streamlined pieces. Avoid old school traditions such as pearls, broaches and overly conservative garments.  Also, split the shell and cardigan up.  They're both layering pieces and can lead to countless outfit options.

Another thing that drew me to this set was the rich amber color.  It's a unique neutral.  I have all the other neutrals covered in my blazers and suiting garments so this addition adds a particular uniqueness.  At first glance it reminded me of a lowball glass of bourbon, something Mr would drink on a date night (I see things that remind me of him constantly, sometimes it in the funniest of ways - there's clearly no limit to how much I miss him).

I paired the cardigan over a soft blush sheath dress and added some contrast with black pumps & handbag. I also accessorized with a modern gold hoop eating.  This color combination is sharp, unexpected and sure to impress at the office.
It's a classic look but I surely don't look mature or frumpy.

If you haven't added this year's Pantone color 'Rose Quartz' to your wardrobe this dress is a pretty piece to start with.  The piping detail streamlines your shape and highlights the waist.
Note:  I purchased in petite, it's designed in a longer length.

Later this week I'll share with you how I styled the matching shell :)








Cardigan: J Crew || Blush Sheath Dress: Ann Taylor || Pumps: Nine West ||
Handbag: Prada || Earrings: Similar || 

Dress Beautifully in Bourbon & Blush

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: