Feb 19, 2016

The Separate Split


Earlier this week I shared with you my maiden voyage in styling a cardigan.  I decided to go all out and purchase the twinset (coordinating shell).  I find that most closets, including my own, are full of separates but I believe it's essential to incorporate matching sets when possible.  It's an effortless way of looking put together.  And if you're afraid of looking too monochromatic a printed scarf, skirt or statement necklace are great ways to add some interest.

While I respect and embrace matchy matchey ensembles I feel that it's important to take advantage of their styling options and utilize them separately.  Optimizing the functionality of your wardrobe is key.  I find that you'd be surprised at just how many looks you can create with a moderate amount of pieces.  Ask yourself, what good is a piece that can only be worn in a single capacity?

I showed you how I styled the cardigan earlier this week.  Today I'm taking this amber shell and pairing it with ivory trousers for a lighter brighter palette and a printed scarf to break up the color block. I love the mix of light and rich neutrals - goes to show you don't have to have bright colors to make a statement.

I'm going to assume none of you are new to these pieces but if you're looking to add to your closet I do recommend this twinset as it's constructed out of light weight wool which is durable and resistant to stretching and fading.

 I must admit I'm pretty enthused about this new-to-me cardigan thing.  My gal pals shake their heads as it's an over worn piece for just about all women and as a collector of classics it's just surprising I haven't taken part.

I have brunch with the gals tomorrow and I'm thinking of wearing the coordinating twin set with a pair of jeans and bright red flats for a pop of color.  Swapping out your trousers or skirts for jeans and flats is the perfect way to transition a week day look to the weekend and still look polished while being comfortable.








Shell: J Crew || Coordinating Cardigan: J Crew || Trousers: Similar ||
Scarf: Ann Taylor || Pumps: Tory Burch || Handbag: Prada || 

Dress Beautifully in Separates 

XOXO Sarah Louise


No comments: