Jan 17, 2017

Bathroom Brights

Down the hall, first door on your left.  That's where you'll find our 'bigger' guest bathroom.  We have a powder room for guests as well.  (That's a sticky subject - I'm DYING to add bold wall paper but Mr's foot is down on his veto vote)


For our mid-century ranch home we were quite please with the size of this bathroom to accompany the extra bedrooms.  In fact it's much bigger than our master bathroom.  It was renovated just prior to our purchase almost 2 years ago - wow times flies! I must say at first I wasn't thrilled with the tile, cabinet and fixture choices in our home's baths or kitchen but I quickly grew quite fond of them.

I wanted traditional and he wanted new and modern.  I won! #happywifehappylife
This house has gorgeous crown moldings, plantation shutters & real hardwood floors throughout and solid wood doors; it even has 2 pocket doors!! I'm all about the details. But all of these trimmings are painted in a rich beige color.  That was hot 50 years ago but now the bright whites and greys are the shades of interior design.  Now, our family room is the only room painted grey with white trim.  That room, kitchen, powder and master suite are the only exception to the beige on beige motif.

When I say beige motif I'm saying every other room had beige walls and beige trim.  I said 'bye bye beige'.  Within months of moving in, the formal dining, living, entryway and hall way were painted.  Next came the sunroom.  Gals, I need to step up my game and share those with you!

But back to this guest bathroom. The tile choice is a warm yellowish tan and it's on the floor and in the shower floor to ceiling.  The granite is also on the warmer side with dark cabinets, dark hardware, lighting and mirror,  Pair that with beige and I hate to say it, but it was rather dingy.

For such beautiful finishes they were muffled by the lack of light.  There's no window so the sinks, toilet and shower curtain were carrying the bright load.

BEFORE





SO, rather than fight the beige I decided to compliment it.  With white walls!  I received a less than enthusiastic response from others. White??!!  It's so builder-grade, plain, and sterile.  They were right it can be.  But there are exceptions and I trusted my design instincts.

AFTER





I added pops of emerald green with this monogramed shower curtain, hand towels and original art.

In the end these white walls not only brightened the space, it highlighted all of those warm dark elements so they could shine.  Bathrooms should feel clean and fresh and this polished coat of paint did just that.

Paint is the work horse of interior design.  You'll have a huge transformation for a small price.  Choose wisely and always always get a sample first!


Dress Your Bathroom Beautifully with a Fresh Coat of Paint

XOXO Sarah Louise


No comments: