May 22, 2023

We Go Together

Community is not a luxury or privilege, I believe it is necessary. I know I'm not meant to journey this life alone but alongside others that love, support and encourage me and that I right back to them. This became more challenging for me when I became a mother. Prior I had pools of people from school, my career and nonprofits. 


When Vivian Louise came into my arms I was lost! (and in the trenches!) I was older, bound by schedules and in the daily maze of navigating her needs. I had needs too. Needs to fellowship, laugh and share with likeminded adult ladies. I remember saying one day there needs to be an app for friends lol. 

I would see other Mammas strolling, playing and going out together wondering how they found each other and how do I get invited.


When Vivian started preschool I joined a Tuesday morning bible study, signed up for group workout classes and learned about a group called MOPS - Mothers of Preschoolers. I joined and found community! Flash forward and this past year I LED this group alongside a gal who has become my dearest friend.
I look back in amazement at how my community came to be.


While I've often been referred to as a 'perfume lady' because I'll approach anyone #extrovert this is not easy nor does it come natural for most. In a world that's more virtual than ever I see the need for face-to-face.

Here are some encouraging ways to grow your community ....

SHOW UP


When invited, say yes! When you see a school event, neighborhood gathering, gym class, bible study, play date, etc .... GO!!! say yes! That probably means embracing some discomfort but you'll thank yourself later.

EXPECT GREAT THINGS 


Assume others want to make friends too rather than the negative thoughts like 'they already have friends' or 'I don't fit in'. I bet they're thinking the same thing. 

INITIATE HOSPITALITY 


Open the doors of your home to others. The season is warm so you can host outside. Squash the insecurities of having a magazine worth home (no one has one). Treat your neighbors with a sweet treat, organize a park playdate or ladies happy hour.  If you ask - they will come! Think about how you feel when you're invited to something :)

Note: not everyone is meant to be your bestie and that's ok! Be unoffendable to differences and keep seeking those that align with you.

I wore this pink dress to the last MOPS meeting that we 
hosted as a tea. I cried sharing my final words up front while also 
feeling more loved than ever by the treasures in the room.

I encourage you to pray and put yourself out there to find community!

Dress Beautifully in Community

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: