Oct 2, 2023

Home - The Story of Us

Our home is special to us. It is the sacred space where we create memories and grow our family.
We want it to reflect us, the people who live here.

One of Vivian first family portraits from preschool 

As I've been tackling several design projects I've realized that as inspiring as tv shows, magazines and Pinterest is, I want our home to show others our story and what's important to us. 

Note: This means there will be toys & kid art sprinkled throughout because Vivian lives here and it's her home too. This wasn't my mindset when having her - I strived for picture perfect. I now love that her things are here and cherish their presence!

Here are some things that tell the story of us in our home ...

THE HOUSE WITH THE PINK SWING


When we tell others where we live, we title our home 'The House with the Pink Swing' because it's right out front hanging from our grand Magnolia tree. It's been there for nearly 5 years where we swing Vivian higher and higher enjoying the outside and waving to our neighbors. The time has come to move to a big girl swing and I have to admit it hurts my heart to see it go. 

AMERICA


We love our country! Ryan served as a US Navy Officer following his medical education and deployed for nearly a year with a Marine infantry unit as their Battalion Surgeon to the Middle East. This was a significant time in our lives!! 


We proudly fly the American flag and he displays sentimental awards & keepsakes from his service in his office. 

CHRIST


The MOST important thing in our lives is Christ! We proudly display our bibles throughout. This tissue papered cross was something Vivian made a few years ago in preschool. She wanted to tape it in the window at our front door and it's been there ever since. I love that it greets who ever comes over including our deliveries.

PHOTOS


Framing photos of our memories and loved ones not only reminds us of the fun times and the people we love it does our guests too. We value people more than anything and hope displaying their smiles shows!

WALLPAPER


I love color and print! I'm also extremely sentimental. The papers I chose specifically for our entry way & dining room have meaning and I hope create an environment of comfort as they enter our home and sit at our table.

TRADITIONAL


Our style is classic & traditional and you'll see that in each room with warm wood pieces and shiny gold fixtures.


 (and of course monograms!). This velvet bench belonged to my Grandma.

BEAUTY


I admire and adore beautiful things.  I curate my life and efforts with beauty.  I find antique pieces that house unknown stories, to me the epitome of beauty.  I have them sprinkled throughout our home.
This mirror in particular was purchased with a dear friend who's now in heaven giving me pause to reflect on life's priorities each time I pass by. 

BIRDS


It may seem a bit much but I love birds as I find them majestic, so you will see them almost in every room.

PLANTS


I find it important to having living things in your home - preferably plants over pets but we have Ethel & Trixie too.

HEIRLOOMS


I display and use treasured items pass down in our families, like silver and china. I don't decorate for each holiday or season but rather enjoy the gifts of others all year round. See, I'm very sentimental!! 

For you maybe it's souvenirs from your travels or art or a specific collection.  Whatever it is that tells your story have it throughout your home for others to enjoy.

Dress Beautifully Sharing Your Story
in Your Home

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: