Sep 19, 2016

Princess and the Pea


Welcome to my boudoir! When Mr and I bought our home here in the Queen City last year (clearly this post is a long time coming but better late than never) having a nice room for us started with the bed.

Like with all things in my life I focus on investing in quality.  While I've always liked nice things now that I'm in my 30's I'm in a place to make lasting purchases.

When it comes to furniture I'm traditional but it must also make a statement. Classic and Striking!
This bed was all of these things.  Constructed of solid dark wood with a super high canopy and spindle posters, this bed was made for a princess.  And to make it even more regal it's super high - I mean really high.  It takes a lot of effort for my petite self to climb up.  Mr and I agree as beautiful as it is, we foresee it being a physical hazard at some point.  I call it our 'Princess and the Pea' bed.
Now, we haven't been able to add any other pieces for the bedroom.  What we do have are heirloom pieces from my Mamma, a dresser and my vanity table.  We are both very particular and adamant about finding just the right pieces that are worthy of passing down through the generations.  #patience

I believe a bed is only as beautiful as its linens.  Like with my wardrobe the fabric, color, pattern, and textures are all important.  It all started with these custom monogrammed shams and one of my most favorite boutiques.  Beaufort Linen Co. is not only been one of my favorite shops for home decor, gifts and accessories, the owner is a dear gal pal.  Mr doesn't give much input into the interior design of our home as long as it's comfortable.  But I wanted our bedroom to reflect us both and knowing his favorite color is 'Carolina Blue' I decided that would be the foundation for the design.

Typically it's one piece that starts my room design.  After purchasing our canopy bed I knew that the bar was set high and demanded grander decor.  These shams were just the right statement to compliment.  Christina of Beaufort Linen Co worked with me in choosing the trim, color and monogram style.  The fabric is in a diamond pique cotton, with a bias tape appliqué monogram and chain motif trim.  These were the PERFECT pieces for a highly decorated room or as Christina likes to put it a 'Well Collected' bedroom. Choosing these shams wasn't just about bedding.  It set the tone for creating a home that was ours.  For most of our 10 year relationship, due to our careers, schooling and military we have lived apart.  This home gave us a sense of stability and togetherness.

Mr calls these shams the 'Fancy Pillows' and carefully places them on my Grandma's blue velvet bench each night before climbing into bed.  We share this bedroom together and our joint monogram front and center makes a bold and sophisticated statement!

I chose various shades of blue for all other design elements.  A pale pastel blue for the wall color (also found in the master bathroom, kitchen, breakfast room and powder room), navy silk for the drapes, navy euro shams and a chinoiserie blue and white printed duvet (Mr says it's like a ginger jar threw up on our bed - My response "Exactly!")

When it comes to dressing and decorating I like to blend multiple shades rather that matching.

Oh and to wrap up the story of our bed, I can't forget the sheets! You should be spending 9 hours every night tangled up in them so why not have something soft and luxurious?!  Mine are just that.






Shams: Matouk from Beaufort Linen Co. || Sheets: Peacock Alley ||
Duvet: Ralph Lauren & Similar || 


Dress Your Bed Beautifully in Custom Monogrammed Shams

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: