Mar 12, 2018

Mamma Monday: Nursing Bras

Wearing proper supportive bras has always been of upmost importance to me.  I've never skimped on my bras.  I believe the right bras improve your posture, help clothing fit in a flattering way, can eliminate back, shoulder and neck pain and even improve your self confidence.

Now, that I'm a nursing mamma bras have a much harder job.  The girls aren't just bigger, they are dense and heavy ... and bigger! UGH Making it even more important for support. I was never small chested for my frame to begin with but their size is uncomfortable and I don't like it.  Add it to the list of sacrifices we make for our babies.

So not only are your girls bigger you have to be able to access them.  I've asked my mamma gal pals what bras they wore but in the end found what worked for me.  One of the keys of success in finding my nursing bras were really knowledgeable consultants.  I recommend waiting until 1 month postpartum.  I say this because I went a bit early just a few weeks after baby girl and now the bras I purchased are a bit big. At a month they should have settled after your milk arrival.

If you are local to Charlotte NC the place to go is The Milky Way.  The owner is a gem and helps fit you in the right bras and is also an absolute sweetheart with her encouragement.

Here are the bras that I have ...



I wanted a wireless for comfort but didn't want to compromise on support.  This one is perfect.  It's full coverage and comes in a huge range of sizes so if you're like me with a smaller frame you can find a good fit. I wear this one out and about and even at home.



This one is so light weight.  There is a rumor out there that wire bras negatively impact your milk supply and ducts.  false.  In the right fitting bra where the wire isn't putting pressure on your girls you won't have any negative effects but rather achieve great support and a lifted look in your clothes.



This one is made of very soft fabric and very smooth.


My sister recommended these and they've turned out to be my favorite for hanging out at home and for night time.  They are soft and easy for accessing.  No clips or cups to fold down you just stretch the fabric to the side.  I own 5.



I bought a few and ended up giving them to my sister.  My gal pals love them and so does my sister.  I didn't.  I like to be covered up more at home and when I sleep.  I wear the night time ones above with button up pajamas.
Note: I'm obsessed with Ralph Lauren pi's.  It's basically all I wear!



I thought this one would be more like a sports bra but it is not.  More like the night time bras.  It is soft but definitely not what I would call supportive for day wear outside your home.
I do have a set of the washable heart shaped nursing pads and love them. Super soft.  I've only leaked once due to a long time span between feedings but I wear them anyways to keep any creams from getting on my bras and they feel nice. 90% of the time I use these disposable pads.

Now for sports bras ... I can't even!!!  I'm back in the gym and the struggle is real.  I leave home as soon as I'm done feeding baby girl and they are still so uncomfortable when it comes to running and jumping.  I'm still on the hunt for good ones so I will include that on a workout post.  (I am not a fan of home workouts but have no choice with a newborn so I'll share what I'm doing later ... Picture this, lunges down the hallway and push ups in the nursery - you do what you have to do!)

If you're a nursing mamma I hope this was helpful or help a sister out and send me what you've found.  If you're not a nursing mamma send this to a friend who is :)

Dress Your Nursing Girls Beautifully

XOXO Sarah Louise


2 comments:

Unknown said...

http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/sports-bras-high-impact/

I plan to give these a try post baby. The back closure is a standard hook and eye, and the front can be adjusted (for size or support) using the Velcro on the straps. I love that the straps are completely detachable from the front for nursing, pumping access.

Dress Beautifully said...

Thank you so much for sending this one to me! I'm ordering it! :)