Feb 22, 2021

The Wonder of Wallpaper

Fun Fact: I'd wallpaper every room in our home if Ryan & budget allowed!

Wallpaper is just so beautiful to me! It's like clothing a room in a pretty dress. And as with yourself, dressing a room with color, print, texture and quality materials is the key to great style. 
Wallpaper can be as subtle or bold as you want.


The herons have sentimental meaning to me
Details to come soon when I share our dining room design

Wallpaper isn't your basic element of design.  It's a luxury these days for the investment in materials and installation. And because of this, and the lack of an easy undo, choosing where and what wallpaper is a big decision.

Typically, wallpaper is best for small and/or formal spaces.  Gone are the days of wallpapering kitchens and living rooms. Today it's most commonly used in powder rooms, formal dining rooms, entry ways, and bedrooms. Kids bedrooms are the most fun!


The hydrangeas, color & print are all sentimental
Details to come soon when I share our entryway design

I'm not an interior designer and in no way want to step on their expertise.  They are educated and have the unique talent & resources to do what they do BUT I believe that having ownership of your space is a must.  It is your home where you live and where you make your memories. Therefore the design, decor and elements should mean something to you and reflect who you are. 

When choosing finishes for our home I implement these very principles in each room.

Here are My Tips for Implementing Wallpaper into Your Home:

  • Choose the room 
  • Choose a color palette - we have an heirloom rug in our living room in pink and blue that set the tone for the papers in the adjoining rooms
  • Narrow down the pattern - florals, graphics, small or big repeats ...
  • Pinterest, IG & Google image Search!  When you believe you've found a wallpaper you love, search online to see it implemented in spaces.  It will help give you a good idea of what it would look like on your walls. 
  • Order a Sample! It's hard to know colors and textures online shopping. Our dining room paper has metallic gold throughout that just doesn't covey in images. The raised texture in our entryway paper is a detail you can't feel on the screen.
  • Visit a Design Store! It is so helpful to see, touch and flip through books of papers.  It can help you hone in on your selection.
  • Hire Professionals! This is not where you watch a Youtube video and try and hang it yourself. NO. It is an art to paste and line the print up just right - it's worth every penny! If it's off just a hair it will haunt you.

I started to round up my favorite papers and about an hour into it I realized I could be here uploading and linking for weeks!  There are so many beauties out there. 

Here are some that I would add to our home if I could (I just may and beg for forgiveness after!) ... 


I'd love to incorporate this into our sunroom


I originally chose this for our dining but now want it for our bedroom


8 colors
I love this for our upstairs hallways


This would be precious in Vivian's room


I'd love this for the back of lacquered built in shelves in the office or in our closet!


I love this for our office, powder room or den


This would be so lovely in our guest bath or bedroom


Our master bedroom had gold grasscloth paper already up when we purchased our home.
While I absolutely love the natural texture, the gold wasn't my favorite at first but it's beauty has grown on me! It actually warms the space and compliments nicely as a lustrous neutral.
I believe for such a large room (it's over 25 ft long) a print would have been too overwhelming. I highly recommend grasscloth for depth if paint is just too plain and print is a tad too much. 

P.S. I'm will be sharing more of my home decor & inspiration this year because I enjoy dressing it beautifully almost as much as I do myself!

Dress Your Home Beautifully in Wallpaper

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: