Feb 1, 2021

Show Love

It is the first day of February aka Love month! I've always enjoyed Valentine's Day for all the sweetness it brings. If you think about it, it's not a silly thing to celebrate Love. The greatest commandment is to love God, and the second greatest is to love others making a day set aside to show love meaningful. 


It is safe to say we've all heard & know about the 5 love languages:
1. Physical Touch
2. Acts of Service
3. Quality Time
4. Words of Affirmation
5. Receiving Gifts


I remember learning about them during our marriage counseling 11 years ago and finding it fascinating. I will say they have shifted over the years for me. I used to give and receive love the most with words of affirmation and quality time.  Now, I value acts of service so much more than words! 
Quality time is still #1 for me! And gifts is my least. 

This past Sunday the lesson I taught my teenage ladies was on living out our faith through action. 

Love isn't a feeling, it's an action. 

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
We reflect God's love through the way we live our lives.  1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Here are some ways we can SHOW love to our family and friends ...

Pour a cup and sit for a spell

1. Listen - pay attention and participate in what's important in the other person's life. Take interest in their circumstances. Ask questions and strive to avoid interrupting/turning the conversation on yourself or comparing.


2. Date - I've shared this before but actually making a date to spend time with someone is so important. Since face to face time with friends is currently challenging (I pray every day that it changes soon) schedule a FaceTime or Zoom date. Put it on the calendar. 

MOST IMPORTANT: NO PHONE 
put them away!

Note: Phones can be great for sending virtual love with a like, comment or share of someone's post. I know I am tickled pink each and every time a follower sends a heart my way :) 


3. Affirm - send thoughtful text messages, emails, voicemails or even, my favorite, snail mail! Some of my gal pals love my sharing of words but they fall flat for Ryan.  He'd take a yummy meal (UGH) over a love note. 


4. Cheer - I have this one gal pal and if I had to describe her with one word it would be 'Cheerleader'!  She supports others loudly! It doesn't matter what your life looks like or what your aspirations are, she will be rooting for you. My interests are so different than hers but she's always lifting me up.


5. Treat - Taking note of someone's favorites and gifting them a sweet little surprise will always brighten someone's day. That also goes back to listening. Knowing what interests someone else requires that you invest in listening to what's important to them.  It takes time so don't stress the perfection element. 

I encourage you to SHOW your love to others rather that the routine 'I love you' speak that can easily become casual. Make the effort. I promise it will be a blessing.

Make sure you stay true to yourself when you do love. Meaning, if you're like me and hate all things culinary and crafty then baking sweet treats and gluing pretty cards aren't for you. I will however happily sit, sip and chit chat, help you with a project, paint your nails and snuggle with a good show (I'm a toucher!) any time!
Use what talents you have.


If gift giving is your thing, shop til you drop! ... I'll never turn down a piping hot cup of black coffee, jewelry or a good book!

Actions Speak Louder gals, so shift your time, priorities and focus to Love others!

Dress Beautifully Showing Others Love

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: