May 17, 2021

5 Things to Give Your Home a Great First Impression

First impressions are very impactful and important. It says a lot about what's on the inside!

Vivian's pink swing adds the perfect happy touch!

Our traditional Georgian Colonial home is me to a T! I have a very traditional style and prefer older homes (they just don't make them like they used to). She's a custom brick house built in 1963 by a well renowned builder in Charlotte, NC. We are only the 3rd owner and the 1st was a Methodist church that used the home to house its ministers (It makes me feel like our home was meant to be used for God's glory from the start!) 

When decorating your home it's easy to focus on the interior: paint colors, light fixtures, flooring and my favorite, wallpaper! BUT the exterior is actually most important. Not only is it the first impression of your home but from a practical standpoint making sure your home is in solid, safe and in sound condition (you know all those things on the inspection report) is vital. We've spent the first 2 years of ownership in this house focusing on lots of repairs and at the end of last year we finally made some cosmetic renovations that include 5 rooms I'm eager to share with you this Summer!

But lets start at the beginning!

Here are 5 important things I believe are key to making a great first impression for your home ... 

1. Mailbox

It is the VERY FIRST thing you come to on your property, therefore it's very important that it be stylish, sturdy, and spic & span. This copper mailbox was a Christmas gift a few months after we bought our home. I'm not sold on a flower bed at the base (it's more work than I'm up for) but I do go out and scrub the post every so often. I mean think about it this way, your neighbors walk by it and your mailman or woman visits it every day! I highly consider leave treats in there for them :)

2. Hardware

Hardware makes such a statement. It reflects style in a functional way. It's the tool to open your door in welcoming others into your home. The 'key' if you will to hospitality. My personal favorites are by Baldwin (particularly fond of shiny brass), it's what we have and plan to keep.  Invest in your door handle, a knocker and house numbers.

3. Light Fixture



Think of lighting as the jewelry of your home. Ryan's dying to have gas lanterns at our front door but that's an expense that's low on the list. For now, I've decided to keep our front fixture because it's original and I love the character. 

4. Planters


I think these Chippendale Planters are great.

I've become such a plant lady.  I have small vintage square planters that sit on our rounded steps with a small pink geranium in each for the Spring & Summer. I do not decorate our entry seasonally or for holidays because I don't like clutter and like to keep our exterior simple and classic. It allows for the front door and moldings to shine. We do proudly hang the American flag!!!

5. Power washing


It is amazing what a little soap and high pressured water can do for a home. It blasts off any grime and mold that collects over time. It really makes your brick, trim and windows sparkle. One of the prettiest features is our dental molding around our exterior and on the inside! That craftsmanship just isn't something you can find in today's time. 

It is my dream to add this rounded portico to our front one day!

Dress Your Home Beautifully for a Great First Impression

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: