Jun 5, 2015

This Way & That Way


Let's talk stripes.  I don't gravitate to stripes, I'm more of a floral gal but done right stripes are classic and create flattering lines.  In looking through my wardrobe the stripes I do have are small/pinstripes and majority are navy & ivory.

The great thing about dressing is that you can use pieces to accentuate and enhance the beauty you already have.  Like this skirt, the design and placement of the stripes and panels create a slimming elongated fit.

Graphic prints can be 'busy' and 'too much' but because these ombre stripes are in a neutral palette, the same width throughout and the directions fit the body's shape it's pleasing to the eye.

Panels are just amazing.  Their seams allow for a closer fit and make lines on the body that are long and shapely.  The vertical stripes on the sides of the skirt are narrowing on the hips and elongate the legs, - they're like encasing columns bringing the body in and up.  The lighter stripes on the waist band draw the eye upwards and highlight the small waist, the chevron stripes on the middle panels draw the eye upwards to the points again giving the illusion of height.

Oh and the fabric is unique.  It's textured and holds it's shape.  If you're like me and have a collection of pencil skirts it's key to differentiate with prints and fabrics - it also helps to justify why I have so many :)

I was hesitant to try this skirt at first but visually was so intrigued by it's design.  When I checked myself out in the dressing room mirror I was sold!  I felt slim and tall - that feeling is rare for petite gals so I embraced it and bought the skirt!

I wanted this skirt to get all the attention so I paired it with a matching ivory blouse for continuity and neutral shoes. I did add a pop of color with my favorite lemon bauble.   Summer is all about the citrus.





Skirt: J Crew || Blouse:  J Crew Factory || Pumps: Nine West ||
Lemon Necklace: Kate Spade Similar || Clutch: Tory Burch || 

Dress Beautifully in Stripes

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: