Dec 12, 2016

Ribbons & Lace


Lace used to be for those special dress up occasions.  Today, you can find lace in all types of garments. It adds texture, detail and lots of femininity!

While lace hasn't lost any of its fanciness, you can tone it down with simple styling.
This dress has casual elements with its piped collar and pockets.

I styled this black lace dress with layers, because it's finally getting cold down here in the South.  With added coverage it creates a more modest look that is appropriate for day/office.  I kept it extra classy with pearls and a patent clutch.

Note: I went up a size.  I wanted to be able to layer easily and I find that shift dresses really shorten with sitting. Since that's a necessary aspect of life a little more room & length is a good thing. Pay attention to the arm holes when sizing up, often they become too big and it is NOT classy to expose undergarments!

To take it to the weekend, try brown boots/booties and a denim jacket.  I believe that shoes and a jacket have big power to completely change your look.

I wanted to amp up the girly and nothing says girly like a bow.  But because I'm in my thirties (seriously where does the time go?!!) it needed to be small and understated.  I recently purchased a velvet choker necklace with my youngest sister (#flashback - everything that was cool when I was young is back!) and decided it's perfect to repurpose in my mane.

This dress is not only great for the holiday season but because it's sleeveless and light weight you can ditch the layers and pair with sandals come Spring.

Tip: Pairing tights with heels can be a slippery mess, a Mary Jane style holds down your feet for easy walking.









Dress Beautifully in Layered Lace & Ribbons

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: