Jun 22, 2020

Come On In

Come and knock on our door .... We'll be waiting for you :)


We are finally at a place where we are able to open our doors to our family and friends. 

Note:  When initiating or responding to an invitation to gather I've been letting others know that it's welcome 'when they are comfortable'.  It's important to be respectful to everyone's place during this pandemic. 

I despise the phrase that everyone uses 'please excuse the mess' when someone walks through the front door. Your home is where you live your life, creating memories not a place that someone walks into intending to white glove your belongings. They come to spend time with you, filling your space with their contribution to those memories. 


Confession:  I'm not self conscious about our mess (I diligently keep that managed) but I am about the renovations and decor projects we haven't completed yet. I clearly need to listen to my own advise! 

The key gals, is to be prepared so that your focus is on your guests.  Stash a few things away and add a few steps to your routine and you'll be opening your front door with a relaxed smile rather than a stressed out sigh after shoving and scrambling to make your space presentable.

Below are things I keep on hand and best practices I maintain so that I'm always ready for company.


This is my most favorite scent. It's pleasant to walk into a nice smelling home. 
 I also keep a few small ones stored away as they make great gifts for hostesses, thank you or any other occasion that comes up.


I have quite the collection of vintage and embroidered hand towels that add prettiness to the powder room.
It's the little things that make a difference. And while our powered room needs big things to refine it these will have to do for now. 
They're another great gift option!


Snacks
Crackers, nuts and jelly don't perish and make a great snack platter when you don't have notice.
When you do have time to prepare, I like to have fruit, nice deli meats and easy dips to serve.
It's not a meal, but a nice little something so your guests aren't hungry.
Also, snacking aligns with watching kids during play dates and with my lack of culinary skills!


Beverages
Flavored carbonated water, coffee, and wine are things that are always in plenty in our home.
For an extra touch serve chilled water infused with citrus out of a pitcher.


Housekeeping

When it comes to cleanliness I live by maintaining a standard of shine throughout the day.
Toys are put away after lunch prior to nap (I make it a point to include Vivian in the clean up in efforts to teach her) and before bedtime so that we start and end the day clutter free. I also don't allow toys throughout the home - they are confined to her containers in the den and in her room.

As for the kitchen, the sink is always empty and the only things allowed on the counters are the coffee maker, knife block and hand soap by the sink.  I also clean the counters and floors daily.
When doing laundry I only remove clothes out of the dryer if I can immediately fold them and put them away.
For our bedroom, the bed is made first thing and the only thing on our bathroom vanities are our toothbrushes and hand soap.

If ALL items have a home and there isn't any excess then maintaining tidiness is a cinch.

I highly recommend reading and living by this book on tidiness!


Share any house rules with your guests, like taking your shoes off at the door or offering coasters.

Turn on overhead lights and lamps.  A bright home feels happy & cheerful.

Let your guests know where the bathroom is right away. Every one has to go and it makes the departure less awkward if you don't have to interrupt the fellowship to ask for directions.

Have the refreshments displayed so that they feel comfortable enjoying them.
Should you have to ask they'll probably decline (and be hungry) as to not be an inconvenience and it takes away from the fellowship if you're distracted putting it together.


Don't forget about your china & silver.
It doesn't do any good stored away and you don't need a special occasion or holiday to use it.
Pizza night is special enough for the fancy dishes. Personally, I believe in beautiful presentation (hence this blog).
Tip: Antique stores are great places to build your inventory of fine serving ware.


Open your doors to fellowship!

Dress Your Home Beautifully in Gracious Hospitality

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: