Jan 8, 2021

Friday Favorites: Tools to Tame My Mane

Your hair is the crown you never take off!


My hair is one of my favorite things about my appearance. 
Note: You should always embrace what you love over what you don't!

My hair is very thick, textured, wavy, heavy and big. And I love it! The higher my hair the closer to heaven. I embrace it's larger than life presence despite it's unruliness. 

While it is fabulous, so much the little boy next door to us years ago called me Ariel the first time we met (I feel like Simba more often but gladly accept the compliment of mermaid resemblence) it does require effort to coif. 

To minimize the effort, time and strain on my arms I only wash it twice a week. I shampoo the roots in sections and only condition the lower 3/4th.  I comb the conditioner through with a wide tooth comb and let it sit while I do my other cleaning/grooming shower tasks.

I wrap it up in a towel to try and soak up as much water as possible while I apply my face and body creams. I don't let it air dry too much because it does have a tremendous amount of wave that will set quickly.

Here are the styling products I use ...



Before I dry my hair I put a grape size amount of this cream throughout the lower 3/4 of my hair.

I've been wanting a Dyson Air Wrap for a couple years now but good gracious it's just too pricey so I opted for this bargain brush dryer and oh my stars it's AMAZING! I haven't used my traditional blow dryer since! #truth I brush dry my hair in sections from the underneath working my way to the top.

Sometimes this is the last step, but most often I choose to curl it as wearing it straight is very heavy and seems much dirtier.


I added this curling iron to my tool box for Christmas.  I've seen so many bloggers promoting it however I don't know if it is actually that great of a product because of the sponsorship behind the posts. 

Am I the only one who wonders about this?? 

Note: This gal isn't getting paid squat and I promise you everything I share is my own honest to goodness opinion!

My curling iron was several years old and I was noticing it wasn't curling very well so I took advantage of the holiday sales. I must admit this T3 iron is amazing! It instantly curls, easy to handle and having the option to change out attachments is awesome! 

I opted for the 1" smaller barrel because I like my curls tighter on day 1 so that they fall to looser ones on days 2 & 3. But since I purchased the base and barrel separately, I can add larger barrels later.

After I've curled my hair in sections starting from the underneath layer to the top, I loosen them with my fingers and spray all over with hairspray. This has been my favorite hairspray for many years and lasts several months. 

On the evening of day 2, I will spray the upper roots with dry shampoo before bed and loosely tie my hair up. 

I also use this volume spray on day 3 or evenings to fluff up my dirty locks. By day 4 it's always pinned up because at this point there's a lot of sweat and ick. 

Every now and then I'll throw some hot rollers in my hair to change it up a bit. I also like to add accessories to pin it back.  For dressy occasions I use a couple bobby pins to pull back one side, for day 3 hair a headband or barrette are key and very strong pony tail holders for day 4 and exercising. 

Confession: while I do have red hair, it is browning as I age so I add a diluted semi-permeant color to it once a month. 

I've been thankful every day that goes by that I haven't found a grey hair ... but yesterday I found 3 NOOOOO!

My Natural Hair for Summer

Everyone's hair is different, so my encouragement is to work with what God gave you.  Don't try and change it but rather enhance it. 

Dress Your Hair Beautifully

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: