Apr 5, 2021

Seasonal Closet Clean Out

 I hope you had an absolutely wonderful Easter weekend! He is Risen!

Every year around Easter and shortly after Labor Day (it's still hot down here in the South up to Halloween) I edit and organize my closet storing away the off season and bringing out the new season. 

Why not keep ALL my clothes in the closet all year long??

1. Not enough room - despite that my closet used to be a bedroom it's also my office, gym studio and I share it with Ryan.  We didn't design our closet so it has limitations based on our needs.

2. Distracting - the off season pieces clutter the pieces you can actually wear. By having only the appropriate season displayed it's easier to style yourself and pieces don't get neglected due to lack of awareness.

3. Edit - by changing out the seasons you have opportunity to evaluate each piece and it's place in your wardrobe. By touching, trying on and hopefully remembering how much you love each garment you only have the things that spark joy (I practice Marie Kondo's method when it comes to keeping our home tidy)

Think about it this way gals, in the heat of July do you want to walk into your closet and see sweaters and boots? or in the bitter cold do you want to be sifting through sundresses and sandals when picking out your outfit?

There will be a lot of pieces that stay out all year long that transition with styling and layering.
Be sure to evaluate those pieces too!

Note: You'll need a block of uninterrupted time for this process. Once you start you'll need to push through until completion. Also it's not kid friendly.

Here's how I conduct my seasonal closet clean out ...


Go through your racks and pull out ALL the season specific pieces.
Even shoes, handbags & accessories 


Pull out the new season's pieces from storage.
Touch each piece and even try on to evaluate whether you keep, donate (consider your gal pals) or even sell. I've had some great success parting with pieces that are too costly to donate but no longer spark joy (buyers remorse is no fun) on resell sites. I use Poshmark & Ebay.

Use the hangers (velvet is a must!) from the off season pieces to add the new pieces to your racks.
Gals, there's an order! I organize from left to right, sleeveless to long sleeves, short to long and in rainbow color order! It creates clean visualization and making it clear what you have and easy to make a selection.


Carefully fold the new pieces, I use a file folding method and place in the empty drawers.


I like nude shoes and I can not lie!


Just as you went through the new season, touch, try on and evaluate each off season piece prior to storing.

Truth: As anti-hoarding as I am, I do have a large inventory of clothes. I have been the same size for nearly 15 years and believe that you shouldn't quantify a garment based on quantity or practicality but rather on joy.  If you love it it doesn't matter how many you have just like it or how often it gets worn. I am sentimental and have memories attached to my clothes. Nothing haunts us like the things we parted with and wish we hadn't. #truth

I carefully fold and place each item into the empty storage containers from the new season.

Note: I find that under the bed is a great place to store (with a bedskirt to conceal) if closet space is limited. We got lucky and have shelving at the ceiling to store while also providing easy access. 


Yes, I have to have a step stool. 

Now, next is ironing!!! I'm sorry but it's necessary.
Wrinkles must be removed after being in folded storage for months.
I know it's a lot of work and can be saved (I recommend doing it within the next day or two).
Having your clothes ironed makes it fast to get dressed and for a piece to get worn. 
If you have to iron it, you may just move on to something thats ready to wear.
Put on some good music or Netflix and press those pieces one at a time.


Gals, I believe that cleanliness is next to Godliness.
My Mamma raised me on this and it truly does add joy to your daily living.

Dress Your Closet Beautifully

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: