Jun 7, 2021

Grand Entryway

 Welcome! Come on in! 

Our entryway is one of my most favorite spaces in our home. It's the first thing not only your guests see when they enter but you as well. So make it good! 

Our home is a midcentury Georgian Colonial design so it has traditional defined spaces with lots of beautiful character, like the custom dental molding throughout the interior and surrounding our exterior. This allows for me to add distinct decor and design choices, like wallpaper! 

I want our home to reflect us, the people that live here. Soft colors and prints in classic patterns does just that. Carolina blue is Ryan's favorite color so it's a must.

When we first purchased this home the walls were tan with a faux marble texture.  We were not a fan but knew that it just needed my magic touch. 


SO. MUCH. BROWN!

First we painted and added furniture. I wanted a cool white on all the walls throughout and chose Benjamin Moore Classic Gray. I only wish it had a different name because it's not gray at all.

Note: I HATE, with a passion, the color gray - even the word itself makes me sad. Its gloomy and gives me prison vibes. Sorry gals, I know it's all the rage when it comes to neutrals but I've never been one to follow the crowd.


We added a foyer table that displays decor, functions as a landing place and holds party pieces when we host. Vivian used to play on the bottom shelf with her toys and sometimes I find a collection of dinosaurs on display and it always make me smile :)


This grand mirror reflects light making the space appear larger.  It's also serves as a quick check of your makeup, hair and outfit before heading out the door. I purchased it at an estate sale with a dear friend who's no longer with us so it's extra special to me!

Light Fixture - lighting is the jewelry of the home. While they illuminate, they also add style.  They're not something you change often so I'm simple and classic in my choices, especially in the common areas.


I also hung our first family portrait from when Vivian was a mere 9 days old.
It represents the purpose of our home, to love one another during our time here.

While this certainly freshened up our entryway it was still rather plain.


This beautiful wallpaper by Schumacher 'Hydrangea drape' in blue was just what it needed. Choosing wallpaper can be overwhelming, but not for me.  I had already established our color palette of soft blues and pinks based upon the heirloom rug in our formal living room. The vertical pattern creates height making our standard ceilings feel a bit more grand.  The hydrangeas are special, as they are my youngest sister's favorite.  She plays such an important role in our lives. It's heartwarming to have something that represents her incorporated in our daily lives.


Fun Fact: This paper was up the staircase in the movie Gone with the Wind


I spy a sneak peek at our dining room wallpaper - post to come soon!

By just hanging the paper on the walls surrounding our front door and foyer it doesn't overwhelm but rather adds life and the right amount of pizazz! 

Dress Your Entryway Beautifully

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: