Jul 19, 2021

Decorating with Monograms

 Here in the South we have a saying ... more like a belief:

In my 20's I put my personal touch on just about anything with my initials (clothes, jewelry, bags etc.) Then, when Ryan and I were engaged came our married monogram on things for our home.

Fun Fact: my monogram didn't change after I was married as both my maiden and married last name begin with an 'H'! Thank goodness b/c I had quite the investment. 

I've shifted over the recent years to monograming less for myself and more for gifts, home decor and darling Vivian. 

I believe, like in most things, that moderation is key. The way to do that is with intention.  Rather than having everything stamped, choose a few special pieces so that it's more personal rather than 'branding'. You're a person, not a business.

Here are my favorite ways to add a monogram in your home ...

MASTER BEDROOM PILLOW SHAMS



These were the first thing we purchased for our first home. The appliqué monogram makes a formal and bespoke statement on our grand four poster bed. It's our room together and where we as husband and wife end our days (even if Ryan climbs in most nights just a couple of hours before I'm up). We both love Carolina blue and it can be found throughout our home.  It also is a great color to compliment a variety of bedding. I like to change out our duvet cover.

NURSERY


When designing Vivian's nursery, I went with the colors lavender, pink and a pop of orange. A unique palette only found in her special room. Her name is significant as it is passed down from me, my mother, my grandmother and my great grandmother all of whom are first born and have the middle name 'Louise'. Having the baby's monogram displayed is a sweet & specific way of making it special. 
I chose a linen down filled pillow for her rocking chair.  It will transition perfectly to her big girl bed. 

Note: She's 3 1/2 and still happily cozy in her crib. I can NOT imagine my darling girl out of it or not rocking her twice a day in this chair. #tears

ACCENT PILLOWS


I had these silk pillows embroidered with our joint monogram when we were engaged.  I was just sooo excited to be together (still am!).  They've lived in 4 different homes and reflect us, the family that lives here. I'm not typically a 'brown' person but they are neutral and compliment nicely. I love that they can and have moved from our couches to accent chairs throughout. 

Note: A married monogram is the wife's first initial, the last name initial followed by the husband's first initial. 

COCKTAIL NAPKINS


These add a special touch when hosting guests.  They aren't just something you pick up at the party store and can be utilized all year long for any occasion.  I'm not one to purchase decor for each and every celebration.  They also convey a sophisticated touch without being a true linen. 

These make a great wedding gift!

BATH TOWELS

 
Pictured: These Towels

Ryan & I received monogramed bath towels as a wedding gift and have loved them but after 12 years they've been retired.  I love the ones above and often gift them at bridal showers. They add an elegant touch to your bathroom and also a potential pop of color.

Engraving is another way to personalize and create sentimental treasures.  That's another post :)

Dress Your Home Beautifully with Monograms

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: