Aug 2, 2021

Conservatory Sunroom

Welcome to our sunny space. Walking to the back of our home you'll find what we like to call, our little piece of paradise. Our first home and now our second and forever, are both mid-century traditional designs having enclosed sunrooms off the back. It's our favorite architectural element and room. 


This room allows abundant sunlight in and beautiful landscape views all while providing comforts of the indoors.  It is such a happy place to enjoy the sunrise with a cup of coffee, curl up with a good book, fellowship with friends, play games with Vivian and even a sweet date night.

This room didn't look like the classic conservatory that it is now when we purchased this home. Now it doesn't have a glass ceiling like a European conservatory but it does have lots of windows to make it bright. I brought the traditional design elements of a conservatory in with a black and white diamond patterned marble floor, dark palm printed fabrics and all my special plants.

I completed this room in December and here's a look at the transformation ...

I love that our late sweet Scragley is in this picture. It was his favorite room too.
We removed the door leading into our home once he passed.

I started by white washing the brick wall that's a part of our home's exterior.  
I prefer this over painting as it allows for the texture and various colors of the brick to remain.

Then I painted over the concrete mosaic floor.
While this truly lightened the room this was not practical.  This is the room we enter and exit our home through and it could not withstand the traffic. And it showed every single spec of dirt and dust. 


By adding porcelain tile and new fabric the room is complete!


I chose this porcelain floor that resembles marble for durability.


I kept the classic rattan furniture and just replaced the covers.

This room allows me to prepare meals in the kitchen and other tasks inside while providing clear views of Vivian playing out on our patio. 


My plants bring me great joy! The palm is over 30 years old, a gift from my Mamma, the fig 6 and Lilly nearly 5. 

Dress a Sunny Space in Your Home Beautifully

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: