Feb 21, 2022

Pearls of Wisdom

 My Mamma taught me a lot growing up and by the grace of God she's still here teaching me.

A lot of her advise starts with “My Mamma always said". My Grandma lived a lot of life and had many pearls of wisdom to share that I hope to pass down to Vivian Louise from these generations of strong women.

Fun Fact: My Great Grandma, Grandma, Mother, myself and Vivian are ALL first borns, all with the middle name Louise... hence my double name.


I want to document these so that I can remember them, and pass them on in hopes they encourage others.

Here are Pearls of Wisdom from the Matriarchs of my Family:


Pretty Is As Pretty Does ... true beauty starts with your heart! 

Respect your home … Regardless of where you live care for it, make it the best you can with what you have and keep it tidy. Cleanliness is next to godliness 

Our home with a dusting of snow - a very rare occurrence

Be Healthy - exercise, eat your vegetables, wear sunscreen, wash your face and floss your teeth.  My Mamma is a nurse and taking care of your body is essential. But we never ever went to see the doctor unless it was absolutely dire. I'm still that way.  Ryan has to nag me to go.


It Won't Hurt You ... It’s also good to eat the cake, skip the chores, get dirty, or put your feet up. Being first borns we are  type A do-it-all kind of gals, but the ones before us look back and see the importance of stopping to enjoy!

Always have cash money - You never know what could happen in life and you should have some cash money tucked away in your wallet.  Mamma gives a little to Vivian for her piggy bank each time we visit. 


Sit Up Straight or You'll Stick ... My Grandma wouldn't let us sit slouched and scared us into thinking we'd stick into an awkward position.

Use the Good Stuff ... Dukes mayo, Coke, Breyers Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, Heinz ketchup, 409 & Tide … if you show up requesting any other competitive brand, well, bless your heart. Here’s a glass of sweet tea (with real sugar).


Go Outside ... being in God's creation, appreciating nature is the best medicine for life. 

Don't Air Out Your Dirty Laundry ... I come from intensely private women and I keep quiet about most things.  It is not ladylike nor appropriate to disclose unnecessarily.  Never ever discuss money, your marriage or your personal struggles in public. And when you do share be very very selective choosing a very trustworthy confidant.  

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... think of life's hiccups as happy accidents and move on. 


Go to Church - every. single. Sunday! Tithe right off the top, give thanks for your many blessings and worship Him with your whole heart.

Church Clothes - and when you do, you'll be in your Sunday best. Since I was a little girl, and even now my Sunday outfit is selected no later than Saturday.  Mamma made sure we had pretty white cardigan sweaters & lace socks when we were girls and now I do the same with Vivian. 


Say I Love You … over and over and over and over. With a hug and a kiss. 

My Mamma and her Mamma have shared a lot of wisdom that I will cherish and carry on to my darling.

Dress Beautifully Walking in Wisdom

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: