Apr 26, 2022

39 & Fine

Cheers

Yesterday I turned 39. And gracious was it an unexpected doozy! I spent 5 days vacationing with two of my bestest gal pals in Lake Tahoe and was scheduled to return home in the very late evening Sunday so that I could wake up with my family to celebrate the gift of another birthday. 


But as life often does, it turned our plans upside down. Our flights were cancelled as we were driving to the airport due to weather with very grim options for rescheduling. As I shed tears in the airport uncertain of when or how I would get home my gal pals along with the airline staff helped me see the good and make lemonade out of a VERY sour day. 



Despite having to spend quite a bit extra we booked new tickets and a hotel room across the street from the airport and decided to laugh and enjoy the additional day together. 


I have the BEST friends who packed confetti to celebrate me!


My sister also helped saved the day and cared for our darling Vivian. I hoped to have my family, my greatest gifts, in my arms just in time for a celebratory birthday dinner. NOPE. After being at the airport at 4am, several hours of delays and a layover, I didn't reunite with them until 8pm. I cried.


This wish with the ones I love most was ALL I could ever want!

As I share these events it’s been a reminder that there’s so much purpose behind it all in life.  Every day is a gift no matter where you are, who you’re with and what you’re doing. There’s joy all around if you choose it. I had to dry my tears because quite frankly there was NOTHING I could do but stay calm in the chaos, find the silver lining and accept what will be. 

I'm not a chatty 'lets make friends' kind of gal when I fly so I wasn't going to make friends to pass the ticking clock, AND there was no internet UGH. So, I enjoyed reading the latest book from my dear friend & author and I'm nearly finished! 

Maybe God was protecting me from something or teaching me a HUGE lesson in patience. All I know is He's got this world in His hands and I have a choice on how I handle situations. 



So, while this day didn’t follow a perfect plan, it will turn out perfectly purposeful. In just these two days I’ve learned and been reminded just how blessed I am with good health, loving family, kind friends and a God who provides, protects and is always present. 


Helicopter tour of Lake Tahoe was an adventure of a lifetime


Each birthday I reflect on the past year and consider my aspirations for the one ahead. At 38 I made it a goal to be present where I was & who I was with. I wanted to traveled and have experiences, making memories I will cherish forever. And let me tell you, I did just that!! It was beyond words the fun I shared. 


Hiking through a Wonderland
 

At 39 I can’t think of anything better than to continue living gratefully for the gifts I’ve been given, because everything we are and have is just that, a gift. I want to slow down take in the view and enjoy.


I see just how fast time flies as I look at my growing little girl and I don’t want to miss a moment of it. I want to be in the moments removed from distractions as much as possible.




So it’s fine that I’m now 39. It’s fine that things don’t always go according to plan. It’s fine that I still have so much to learn. It may even be fine that it’s my last year in my 30’s (eh even if it isn’t, what can I do??! haha) 


Dress Beautifully All Will Be Fine


XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: