Dec 19, 2022

Christmas Dinner Party

This past Friday I hosted a traditional dinner party for 13 ladies belonging to my 'Mothers of Preschoolers' group. I co-lead this group with my dearest friend in efforts to encourage, bless and love one another while building community. 

As mothers we are the magic makers when it comes to Christmas so we first and foremost wanted these ladies to be celebrated, fed and made to feel special for one evening during this full season. Oh and we definitely wanted them to laugh! 

Our home was already festive with Christmas decorations throughout so with the addition of setting the tables the presentation was complete.


Nearly all of my decor & linens are vintage that I've acquired over the years at various antique and thrift shops. I like a classic red and green color scheme that will transcend across decades and hopefully Vivian will use one day. A simple pair of dinner candles adds a timeless and elegant centerpiece. 


I have an affinity for place cards. To me, they feel so fancy and intentional. I find that anything personalized adds a thoughtful touch.

I used my breakfast table in addition to my dining

I made sure to greet each guest at the door with a bright smile and a squeeze to convey how valuable their presence was. I created a area to hang coats and place purses in the office which is by the front door but in a non utilized space for the evening. I then directed them into our formal living room to offer a glass of champagne.


Sparkling wine is my favorite because again, fancy! I served the bubbles in these Waterford crystal coups my father in law purchased in Europe while on military assignment. They were gifted to me several years ago and will be something I cherish forever.
I garnished the drink with sugar coated cranberries & a sprig of rosemary from my garden.

Note: Using the bar cart makes for easy serving while mingling and eliminates traveling from room to room.


We served a traditional Christmas dinner with a pre-plated salad (makes for easy serving), followed by the main course served buffet style: glazed spiral ham, asparagus, roasted rosemary red potatoes and rolls.
The shining star was the homemade chocolate cake!


Following dinner we gathered back in our formal living room with our dessert for some games that made us all laugh so hard I was worried we'd all spill our drinks! 


We concluded the evening by gifting each lady a present served on a silver platter. The symbolism here was fully intentional. As women and mothers we serve others with our best and on this occasion I wanted it to be reciprocated.


Wrapped in tartan paper and tied with a navy velvet ribbon were a pair of gold knot earrings that we affixed to a card that reads "Friendship is a knot that cannot be untied". 
The ladies were surprised and flattered! 

I hope that by sharing this evening with you it inspires you to open the doors of you home to share hospitality with others. The table setting, decorations and gifts are not necessary to be a blessing but simply your warm smile and attentive ears are goodness enough!

 Dress Beautifully at Your Next Party

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: