Dec 14, 2022

Monochromatic but Give it Dimension



There's a lot of elements at play with this outfit. The monochromatic shades, pairing of textures and proportions. It's all of those things that make it interesting for me.

I find monochromatic looks sophisticated, sleek and unexpected (which is what's fun about style - it's ability to surprise). I like to use a jewel toned shades paired with a pastels. 


The textures are equally as important. You want them to contrast to add dimension otherwise the color blocking falls very flat. A soft knit sweater like this pointelle one and a slip skirt is a prime example of this. Another example would be a silk blouse with tweed. Think smooth against not smooth.
The suede on my boots also adds texture.


Now onto proportions. I like to always keep the waist line right under my ribcage. This creates a longer looking silhouette particularly on the lower body. I folded and tucked in my sweater a bit for cropped look. To keep the line of the outfit from breaking I paired with boots that overlap the hem of the skirt. 

Note: These boots are a mid height in the shaft - several inches below the knee. This is my favorite for boots! 



Dress Beautifully in a Monochromatic Look

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: