Feb 19, 2024

Built-In Bourbon Bar

 When we purchased our home over 5 years ago, Ryan was very enthusiastic about having a room dedicated for his work and things. A manly room all to himself. Well, he's married so the reality is I'm going to go in there and zhoosh things around and add decorative touches.  He finds this very offensive but  has endured.


His room, the front office, has builtins on one wall that serves as a desk, adds storage and has shelves for display. As I've been slowly decorating his space with a new rug and dark moody paint, I had the idea to turn one side of the shelves into a bourbon bar. 


Ryan loves bourbon and has started quite the collection.

Originally these built ins were stained wood that we had painted white prior to moving in. I then went in and painted the backs a dark charcoal color - Wrought Iron by BM. 


To make this bourbon bar I wanted an antique mirrored backing but I couldn't find mirrored tiles in my budget and they were also fragile and required tools to install.
I found peel and stick mirrors that were the perfect solution.
Turns out when my gal pal and I were putting up the faux mirrors, due to the texture of the wood backing there was a rippling appearance that gives an antique look (WIN!)


I added decanters purchased from vintage shops and home goods.


The Waterford crystal glasses belonged to Ryan's dad that he purchased in Italy while on a deployment in the military. They're very special.


I added sentimental pieces from Ryan's time as a medical officer in the US Navy that are very important to him as layers of decor. 


And there's always Trixie, his beloved puppy that sits in what used to be Ryan's dad's chair and watches all the birds, cars and other puppies. She never lets me miss a delivery!

I'm far from a DIY gal but I will say this quick project was easy and a lot of fun to do with a friend.
You could use any type of bookcase or shelving to recreate this.


Dress Your Home Beautifully with a Bourbon Bar

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: