Jun 15, 2015

Crisp White Shirtdress


I consider the crisp white shirt not just a classic wardrobe staple but a favorite!  Let's just say, if I could only choose 10 pieces from my closet and the rest were gone forever, a crisp white shirt would be the first thing I'd grab.  I have plenty (I will refrain from confessing how many) but my favorite is the non-iron from BrooksBrothers.

As sharp as the shirt is - a crisp white shirtdress is extra sharp! From collar to shirttail hem, this dress is polished. It's a take on the whole 'woman in a man's shirt' look.  Menswear can be ladylike with a tailored fit and feminine accessories.

I love that this dress has a lining that is detached but stays in place via shoulder snaps.  What sold me on it was that the buttons do not go all the way to the hem.  I don't wear dresses that button past the waist because with movement and sitting they tend to pucker and open - not cool!

This shirtdress came with a self fabric tie-waist sash but I get excited to add accessories to a blank canvas for an opportunity to show my personality and style.  To me, there is great beauty in vintage fashion.

I have been treasure hunting at vintage/thrift shops on the weekends for years.  Something about the quality and uniqueness of older items is intriguing to me.  Even my wedding rings are old - 1920's old!  I often sit back and wonder what kind of gal wore these pieces, how did they style it, and what did they feel when they picked it up at the store?  Did they get as excited as I did?

Belts, broaches and silk scarves are my favorites to hunt. Most recently now that we're purchasing our first home ekkkkkk - I've been scouting more antique furnishings.  This belt literally made me say 'Ahh' out loud when I saw it. I love lions - they remind me of my cat Scragley.  The lion buckle is a bit heavy but it's detail and solid construction makes a statement. Molded behind the buckle are initials and the year 1976. Sooo cool!  The red/cognac color leather strap is adjustable making it wearable high and low on the waist for dresses and pants.  There's some gold lettering on the inside of the leather but it's too worn to make out.

Belts are a great way to accessorize and define the waist. If belts aren't your thing, add print/color with a silk scarf, jewelry or in your handbag/shoes.  Keep it simple - opt for one accessory as the focal point.  And don't forget to roll up the cuffs and pop your collar for chicness!

Slide on a pair of wedges or sandals for an easy weekend look.








Shirtdress: J Crew Factory || Belt: Vintage Similar Buckles || Pumps: Nine West ||
Clutch: Similar || Lipstick: Giorgio Armani 'Spice' || 

Dress Beautifully in a Crisp White Shirtdress

XOXO Sarah Louise

1 comment:

Bett said...

Well I just love your look and your wholesale branded clothes !