Apr 4, 2017

LBD & Color


Today is day 2 of wearing this black dress.

First, let's recap yesterday's experience.  The day started off exciting and full of energy as I met up with other ladies in the JLC to film about LBDI and what we are doing to fight poverty with a local Charlotte news station.  I then spent the rest of the day at my desk which included sharing emails and lots of social media posts about my participation in LBDI and the fight against poverty.  It was a rainy day here and all I could think is how lucky I am to have a nice rain jacket and boots that I can put on.  Choices are a blessing!  I cooked dinner for my family (trying very hard not to get my dress dirty on the 1st day!), then headed out to an evening meeting and wrapped up the day cheering on the Tarheels! Mr is a UNC alumni so you can imagine the enthusiasm in our home.

The highlight was when after I had clicked 'send' 'post' 'share' online and my family was the first to support my efforts with a large donation! Love them :)  I am so VERY grateful for all of those that are supporting me and the fight against poverty.  We are changing lives!

YOU can help feed children, clothe children, provide medical care and educational tools by clicking the link below
Help Fight Against Poverty

Today I didn't have to walk into my closet and scan through all the colors and garments to pick out my outfit.  My LBD was hanging right on the door.  I'm going to be out and about today and I'm eager to spark conversation around the city.

Here's some interesting info on why YOU are essential ...

In our state of North Carolina, over half a million children are living in poverty.  It is estimated almost 1 in 4 children in North Carolina are living in a household where there is uncertainty regarding access to food.  The Junior League of Charlotte will deliver over 10,000 backpacks of weekend food during the current school year at Reid Park Academy. 


Education on Poverty is Key
This databook contains a wealth of information on national economic wellbeing as well as how North Carolina stacks up against national averages:

The Junior League of Charlotte has invested over $300k and committed more than $500k worth of volunteer time at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Title I school Reid Park Academy. Our dollars & volunteers helped build a collaborative system of care model that provides families living in poverty access to resources & services to meet basic housing, food & physical & emotional health needs. Why should you give? Because your dollars make a difference in what we do for our neighbors in Charlotte. 

"To help children grow into successful, productive adults, their parents need well-paying jobs, affordable housing and the ability to invest in their children’s future. When parents are unemployed or earn low wages, they may struggle to meet their children’s most basic needs. Economic uncertainty also increases parental stress, which, in turn, can compromise parenting. The negative effects of poverty on children also increases the chances of poor outcomes for youth and young adults, such as teen pregnancy and failure to graduate from high school."  - The Annie E. Casey Foundation, 2014 Kids Count Data Book


For the second installment on styling a LBD I'm using pops of color. I chose pink but absolutely any color adds beauty to this dark canvass.  The trick to bringing color to a solid black look is to use shades of that color. The easiest way is with texture and print.  A neck scarf, handbag, shoes and jewelry are all elements that do just that.






LBD  ||  Pink Sandals  ||  Handbag  ||  Scarves  ||

Dress Beautifully in a LBD & Color

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: