Jan 7, 2019

Confessions of My 1st Year of Motherhood

Gals, first of all how have I been a Mamma for a whole year??!!! Time flies and babies don't keep.  And don't I know it!  You know it too because I've chosen to be with baby Vivian Louise over blogging.  But I have goals to do better.

So I thought I'd share with you some raw, funny and very real tidbits from my 1st year of motherhood...

1. Nursing is the WORST

I disliked it even before she was born; the planet sized boobs were horrendous. Little did I know they would actually get bigger once they became functional!  I'm a private person and told my gal pals I would never let Ryan see me feed her and that I'd be a pumping Mamma because it was so icky to have a baby eat off me.  Those feelings never went away but let's just say he saw it all within hours after her birth.


I did pump, a lot! I even managed to pump, feed her and feed myself ALL at the same time! (she was too tiny to nurse for the first month). SO. MUCH. WORK. pumping and bottles every 3 hours until she got it. Oh and I had to slather myself with coconut oil every pump UGH and the washing of the parts UGH UGH



I even pumped in the middle of the night while she slept for FOUR MONTHS so that I could store 12oz a day in my freezer just so I could quit sooner/drop feedings and still give her my very best for a year.



And sometimes in the car. A Mamma has to do what a Mamma has to do.

I NEVER nursed outside my house - with the exception of that one time I tried in Neiman Marcus because my gal pal was in town visiting and we were trying to spend some time together.


And clearly I struggle to do it without my 'set up': pillow (I was teased for buckling it up every time) holding her like a little football til the very end, my phone (way too much instagram time), water and often HGTV. I think I'm a designer now.

Also, the impact it made on my wardrobe just about sent me over the edge!!! My chest was humongous and dresses were almost impossible.  I finally threw my hands up and on Sunday mornings at church (in a nursing room) would unzip my dress and pull one arm out at a time and finagle to feed her. #thestruggleisreal

I made it 51 weeks and yes I do want a trophy!

All I have to say is this, it's AMAZING what you will do for your baby! #anything

2. No Contraptions

We did not put baby girl into any contraptions.

She did however sleep in her Moses basket for the first 2 months

First of all, I love my home decorated and baby equipment is not a part of the design.
Second, they are costly and only used for short periods of time. Poor investment. And just in case my first point wasn't clear - they're bulky, consume space and I've never seen one that wasn't tacky (colorful. plastic. ick!)
Third, they are not beneficial for their development. They hinder use of their body's own muscles and limbs and actually create unnatural use of their bodies. Vivian's physical development despite her being a month early and breached was strong because her body did the work how it was made to.



We did use a swing maybe 5 times and a bouncy seat but never more than 15-20 minutes and only when we needed it.

We do let her play in a cage when needed.
It's good for her to learn to play independently and it's safe so that we can walk away from her and not worry about her getting hurt.

*Note: this is not to pass judgement on any Mamma who uses contraptions, just sharing my experience.

3. I rarely groom the baby

I was epically scared to give the baby a bath.  It was 3 weeks before I  did.



And after that it was about every 3 weeks.

I still don't like it. Babies are slippery and honestly it's extra work! She doesn't play in the dirt yet, I'm particular about her eating (later confessional) avoiding mess, and she has precious skin that I want to keep baby soft.


I'd like to tell you that she's bathed more frequently but she's not. My guess is 3 times a month.
She does enjoy it!


PS your kid NEEDS these bath light up cubes!

I also can't trim her fingernails - I made her thumb bleed the second time I did it and have never come near them again.  I cried way harder and longer than she did.

4. I let my baby lick

Not only does she gnaw on the grocery buggy handle (I know I'm a bad unsanitary mother for putting her in without a fabric cover) but her first time was one at the Walmart. The grossest ever.


This is how I see it, I have enough to juggle I don't need to add a cover. Also, she isn't in daycare so how else is she supposed to get germs and build her immune system?!


Lick it baby!

5. I let her play with trash

Baby Vivian Louise has so many nice, colorful and educational toys but let me tell you she's as happy as a clam with a toilet paper roll. Tissue paper, and mail also make her happy.


I basically let her play in our recycle bin. It brings her so much joy :)



6. I don't like feeding her

So, if you know me in real life or maybe you've picked up on it in my posts you know I'm NOT a foodie.  I find it annoying, a waste of time and believe too much emphasis is put on eating.  I eat to fuel my body with 100% natural unprocessed food - Mr swears I have no taste buds because I eat so plain.

Well I believe I've passed that on to my baby and I'm not mad about it.  Food is not on my list of fun and hope that like me she finds joy in things like outdoor activities and books.


We alongside her pediatrician chose to delay food until 6 months because she was so tiny.  She's never been enthusiastic about it. Me neither! THE MESS! epic stress. We resulted in letting her watch Disney songs on the computer as a distraction so that she would eat. I hate that too because I'm don't want her having screen time. I had to do what I had to do. #noshame


She now eats solid foods but a good portion of them I feed to her just to avoid mess and let her feed herself the easy things. I know that I'm going to have to relax and accept the mess - it's a struggle.
I also hope that I don't deprive her because of my eating habits. Mr says he'll treat her to normal food hahaha

7. I NEVER violate the schedule!

I followed the book Babywise for establishing a feeding and sleeping schedule. It worked! She ate, she played and then she slept.  She still follows that routine. I practice parent lead feeding rather than snacking. She sleeps around 13 hours a night #PRAISE and until last week took 3 naps a day.  We've merged to 2.


It keeps us all sane to have structure.  It's also nice when leaving her with others.

Mr says I rule with an iron fist regarding her schedule. You're darn right I do! I do not skip naps nor do I flex on bedtimes.  She's tucked into her crib at 6:00pm every night! This is rigid to some and there's some truth to that.  It limits my freedom.  I am not able to complete my errands or do things I want to do because I operate on her timing.  But it is absolutely worth the sacrifice for a happy and well rested baby!

*Church is the only exception to her schedule and I work hard to keep it as close as possible.

8. I'm a creeper Mamma

As I'm writing this I have the monitor beside my computer glancing to watch her sleep.
During naps and throughout the night I watch her sleep on the monitor. I know she's safe and sound but I love looking at my angel.


Before I go to bed I scroll through pictures and videos that I've taken of her that day.  I know I'm obsessed but I can't think of anything better to be obsessed over :)

9. I've made her my workout buddy

Exercising is one of the most fun things about my daily life. God blessed me with this body and I'm going to take care of it, making it strong. And I won't lie, I like to look good!

Having baby affected my workouts and caused extreme frustration to me because (see #7) I couldn't always do it when I wanted.  Her needs come first.

I also do NOT like exercising at home. UGH but I've had to. I prefer the gym with classes and weights/machines. And I couldn't always do it during nap so I have her join me.  My sets were always interrupted but hey, I got it in. I also don't like the clutter of equipment in my home but I've managed to have it organized and tucked away.

It was a glorious day when she was finally big enough for the running stroller!  Getting a sitter so I could run was frustrating.  She LOVES to be outside like me so it's worked out wonderfully.
I highly recommend this running stroller.


It was also a BIG DAY when I finally left her in the child care at our gym.  It only took me over 6 months to get the nerve to do it. Mr hounded me constantly because it saddened him to see me frustrated over my lack of gym time but gals, I just couldn't get the nerve to leave my baby with strangers. Even though I know she would be loved, played with and safe (and I'm in the building) oh and did I mention it's free with our membership?! I just couldn't.  So Mr gave me a goal of taking her before the year's end.  I took her on New Years Eve haha
He went with me and everyone survived.  Vivian Louise didn't even cry (I totally teared up in the hallway).

The bandaid is ripped and I feel like this year will be a better balance of being Sarah Louise and a Mamma.

10. Mommy and Me

It was a given once we found out that we were having a girl that she would be the best dressed baby. DUH

I couldn't wait to dress us alike!  I primarily do it on Sundays or for an event/outing.  And we aren't necessary 'match-matchy' but more coordinating in our colors.




I typically pick out her outfit first and then select mine to compliment. I prefer traditional baby clothing that's timeless.   Just the way my Mamma dressed me.



I simply adore dressing her. Like Mother like daughter we dress beautifully.
These are my favorites to dress her in: Sarah Louise Clothing, Feltman Brothers, The Beaufort Bonnet Company, Will Beth, Sophie and Lucas, and Smocked Auctions for monogramed pieces.

Being a Mamma grew me in ways I never could have imagined and it's been better than I ever expected.


Sure I wear a hat more often (extra dirty hair) but I do get dressed every. single. day. (no yoga pant wearing for this Mamma) and I haven't hustled in the office for a year now but being her Mamma has been the best year EVER!


Dress Beautifully in Motherhood

XOXO Sarah Louise



No comments: