Jul 1, 2019

Mamma Monday: Pearls of Wisdom

Hey Mammas! I know it's late, Vivian Louise is already tucked into bed.  My excuse for not having this post out this morning is that today I've been living my best Mamma life. (I suppose I could write these in advance like a 'real' blogger does but as much as I'd like for that to happen it just doesn't AND you gals get real time writing. so there you have it.)

20lbs 11oz - 29 1/2 in 

We had her 18 month doctor's appointment this morning (our growing girl is strong and healthy) then a day at the pool with my sister and niece.  The cousins had so much fun splashing at the pool!




My Mamma has given me lots and lots of advise over my 36 years but since I became a Mamma her pearls of wisdom have become something I cherish and actually take to heart.  My Mamma had 4 children and so did her Mamma.  And I've come to learn that they really do know best.

Her are some of her pearls of wisdom that I've been following the summer...

'A little dirt never hurt'

She is literally eating dirt at the park

While I love nothing more than playing with Vivian outside, I equally love dressing her beautifully, my real live babydoll. But dirt and dressy outfits don't go together.  So I'm embracing play clothes and the fun of digging in the gravel, picking up sticks and splashing in water puddles.

I also abhor messes!!! I keep our home very clean and tidy.  A toddler doesn't believe in such things.  She loves to drag out ALL of her toys from the neatly organized baskets and spread them all over  them room.  She can and loves to open up drawers and cabinets and empty their contents. Sigh.
Just today I found baking pan in Mr's office. Sigh

My Mamma was also very particular about cleanliness. But now, she's encouraging me to let her make the messes and to just enjoy the moments. Playing is joyful and full of learning. And besides, a little dirt never hurt.

'Babies don't keep'


Last Thursday evening Vivian was running a fever just as Mr and I were headed out to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary.  She slept great but on Friday afternoon she spiked another fever.  She struggled to settle down for her nap so I went in her room to snuggle and rock her for a bit.

She fell asleep in my arms for over 2 hours! I truly can't remember the last time she slept on me as I rocked her. It was so special because it was a year and a half to the day that she was born and I held her sleeping in my arms for the first time.

By the time she woke up I was fairly uncomfortable and warm. But I dare not wake her and I just continued to pray thanking God for these blessings.

I'll be honest, it was hard to fight the thoughts of the things I had planned to do during her nap time but these babies grow so fast it is important to slow down and cherish them.


'Take nap time for yourself to relax'

Just finished this book last night by one of my fav authors

When you first have your newborn other Mammas will tell you to sleep when the baby sleeps. You need all the rest you can get.  In the beginning there was no fighting that.  But as they get older and sleep through the night, the day time naps are when you do ALL the things.  I literally am going nonstop from the time I lay her down until she wakes up.

My Mamma used to do the same thing and her Mamma would encourage her to relax, put her feet up and rest during naps.  She'd say that the mess and to-do's could wait and be dealt with later. She said it was important to recharge and take moments for yourself.

So I've been taking the first half of nap time a few days a week to myself to read, catch up on my dvr, or just rest because I'm up around 5am each day.  The second half I address my list of things to accomplish.  I still struggle to slow down but I do believe that Mamma is right and it is important to take a little time for myself.


It takes a village, and the Mammas who came before us can help guide us along our journey of motherhood.

Dress Beautifully in Motherhood taking Pearls of Wisdom from Mammas Before You

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: