Oct 21, 2019

Mamma Monday: 'I get to'

What a beautiful start to a new week! It's not too cold, not too warm and just the right amount of sunshine to brighten the day. Fall days are some of the best days!


Since becoming Vivian's Mamma my days are drastically different than they were before. And gracious never did I imagine my days would be the way they are now. Since finishing college developing my career was top priority. And it payed off, literally.  I focused on going above and beyond earning quite a few promotions along the way. These accomplishments thrilled my type-A driven self and provided opportunities to my family, the biggest being able to support my husband while he studied medicine.  While pregnant I had the highest level position thus far and so was the stress.  The demands and pressures had me challenged and working long hours.  Not to mention I was sick and throwing up around the clock. I wanted to throw my hands up every day because the salary just wasn't worth it. But my dear friend for over 20 years lifted me up nearly every commute home, encouraging me to keep going and to finish for my daughter.  So I did.  I pushed through.

In the end, all that stress trying to make success for that company resulted in it's purchase over my maternity leave and my position was eliminated. I can't express my gratitude to God enough for freeing me!  He really does have a perfect plan and purpose for our lives.  I couldn't see it then, rarely can we ever, but he opened and closed doors for me in perfect timing.


So, here I am in jeans and sneakers as opposed to pencil skirts and pumps.  Rather than creating business plans and flying to meetings I'm playing blocks and jogging to the playground.

I miss the sophistication but don't ever want to give up the squeezes with my precious darling. It's easy for me to see my gal pals hustling, my suits hanging in my closet and the toys that I need to clean up and wish I was back in that corporate world fiercely!!!
And who knows that door may open again at any time.

Confession:  I will sometimes run errands dressed in my work clothes while she's in preschool just to feel like that workin' girl again.


And when I do, I have to stop and adjust my attitude to one of gratitude. Comparing steals your joy while having a grateful heart brings joy.

When I worked and things were difficult I would give thanks for the blessing of having a job and health to continue in that job.

And now that I'm here, raising Vivian Louise I give thanks for the blessing of being able to be with her every day. I give thanks for Ryan's job and his health so that he can provide for our family.
The domestic responsibilities are far more arduous (I detest all things cooking and cleaning) but I am happy to have a home I get to clean, a fridge full of groceries I get to attempt to cook, and a healthy baby I get to care for.

Motherhood is not without sacrifice and struggles. Working or not working outside the home is one of those.

I've been dying to get her a pair of red patent leather shoes and was so excited for her to wear them to church on Sunday! Of course I wore these red boots to match :)

Rather than having the attitude of 'I have to' when it comes to your job, your home, or keeping your kiddos alive, how about having the attitude of 'I get to' go to a job that provides for my family, come home to a warm safe house and feed my kiddos a healthy meal.

I promise spending your days with a grateful heart, appreciating the things 'you get to do' will bring you great joy!

Dress Beautifully Doing The Things You Get To Do

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: