Aug 10, 2020

Primped & Polished

I remember watching my Grandma and Mamma primp everyday with mascara, blush, red lipstick and  always a shiny coat of polish on their nails. Now, my Mamma was a nurse so there were times that painted nails weren't practical.

When it comes to beauty, I'm a DIY gal (it's about the only creative skills I have). I can count on one hand the number of manicures I get in a year.  I find it to be expensive, time consuming and I enjoy changing the color every week as part of my Saturday routine so that they're nice and pretty for church.
On that note, I don't spend on any beauty services other than haircuts 4 times a year.  And there's the Vivian element, Ryan works nights and weekends so I save my babysitting for more important things, like gathering with my gal pals.


It is said that “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".  Well, I'm blushing because my Vivian imitates so much of what I do, including my beauty routine.

I believe that simple, polished beauty is the most poised.  With maturity I've come to appreciate those very lessons my Mamma and Grandma worked so hard to teach me when it came to beauty and style.

You want people to see you, not your makeup!

I wish the adolescent me would have never picked up that ice blue eyeshadow and bright pink blush. 
I used to overcompensate for my youthful appearance those first several years of my career with dark eyeliner and overly fussy hair. 
Sigh lessons learned

So here's what I think make for a pretty polished look that will enhance the beauty God gave you without the 'made up' look.



Face: healthy clear skin requires very little coverage.  Mine is prone to breakouts so I choose products that help keep that issue at bay. (especially now that I'm trapping it with a mask).
I use this face wash, daily exfoliant, moisturizer, eye cream and sunscreen!
I highly recommend using Vitamin C & a retinol.

I love almost every single thing about Jackie's style ... her hair was a bit too coiffed

Makeup: A CC cream topped with a setting powder, a touch of bronzer & blush, filled brows, matte eyeshadow, soft eyeliner and a mascara is all you need. And don't forget a soft lipstick (avoid the high shine glosses).

Princess Kate has the most beautifully style hair!

Hair: Soft and effortless. Forced hair styles just scream that your trying too hard and it can look harsh. Messy or untouchable hair isn't timeless.
I like classic headbands and barrettes to hold it back, nothing too trendy.


Polish: I believe you can wear colors outside pink and red but keep your nail shape natural and shorter.


I wear these thin gold hoops practically daily for years.  
They make a shiny statement without overwhelming.

Accessories: Let your jewelry reflect your personality. For example, I like daintier pieces because they are proportionate to my petite structure.  I also like vintage baubles as I have an affinity for things with a story and my style is traditional.  My sister has more of a natural style and likes beaded jewelry.

Our Sunday Best Yesterday
I do wear a little extra color on my face on Sundays

Extreme styling dates yourself and I promise you'll look back shaking your heading wondering what you were thinking.  I'm all about staying current with the trends but in small doses and in moderation. Let your clothing embrace the trends and keep your makeup and hair timeless.

Dress Beautifully with Polished Beauty

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: