Sep 18, 2023

Transitions with Tenacity

Transitions are hard! And I've had some doozies in my life. Getting married (then spending the first 3 years a plane ride away), career positions, becoming a military wife with a year long deployment, getting a dog and the best for last, becoming a Mamma! There have also been many relationship changes and sadly some loss. 

The truth is life doesn't stay the same. Things change, seasons come and go and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Watching your child grow is one of the most fitting examples to just how fast time flies.

My darling Vivian Louise is now in kindergarten and this is by far one of the biggest transitions for me (she's doing amazing!). I'm grieving the end of her preschool years. It's nearly a month in and I'm still adjusting with tears most mornings at drop off.

Whether it's moving, a new job, family growth or any lifestyle shift it's can be overwhelming.

So how do you handle transitions with grace? Well, I'm still working on it but here are some things that have encouraged me over the years. 

START WITH GRATITUDE

I believe it's important to be grateful for the 'before'. It was a purposeful circumstance that gave a lot. Appreciate the season and what it taught you so that you start the new one in a mindset of valuing what's ahead.

Note: Be sure to express thankfulness to those people that were impactful.

PRESENT OVER PERFECTION

Chances are transitions won't go how you planned or maybe you don't even know what to imagine the new season to be like. Being present, accepting the possibilities creates a positive mindset. Embracing where you are rather than comparing to what you thought/hoped for allows you to take full advantage of the present.

BE FLEXIBLE

This is hilarious for me to share as I'm super Type A and an Enneagram 1. I exist in a structured and planned environment and struggle the most at being flexible. However, it is necessary!! It takes time to establish a routine and in the mean time it's important to stay calm in the chaos, leave room for the unexpected and find the bright side. Slowly but surely a new rhythm will be established (hopefully not too soon before a new transition haha).

Transitions don't often pair with the word 'fun', but I dare you to incorporate fun anyways! 

Remember: Doing hard things leads to good things!

Dress Beautifully in Transitions

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: