Jan 15, 2024

Pursuit of Cooking


I've been keeping a BIG secret! At the start of 2023 I made a goal that I stuck with the entire 12 months.


I cooked!

BACKSTORY


Food is only important to me in a nutritious and functional way to feul my organs & muscles. I do not have much concern for taste and find all aspects of preparing a meal a torturous chore.
For my husband food is VERY important to him in a tasty and enjoyable way. He truly appreciates a delicious hot meal and a variety of them.
I've known this since I met him 17 years ago as it's a priority in his family. I'm utterly embarrassed to share that I dismissed something so valuable to him because it wasn't to me.
I made a heartfelt decision to cook several times a week beyond raw fruits, veggies, salads and sheet-pan dinners (the extent of my creations for decades).

WHERE I STARTED 


I committed! Commitment is essential to success. I had to recommit myself each and every time I set out to prepare a meal with reminders of who & why I'm serving. 
Searching for recipes and guidance was a bit daunting. I find Pinterest to be the best resource although IG has inspired me some.  To accommodate my nutritional requirements (I avoid all processed foods, dairy, sugar & need high protein) I searched these key words: Whole 30, Easy, Simple & Paleo.

WHAT I LEARNED


I like greek food and I prefer making my own salad dressings.
Ultimately, giving selflessly out of love for someone else is the greatest gift/act I can do. Serving my family a cooked meal is a big sacrifice for me on a lot of levels (meal selection, shopping, preparing, and cleaning ...) BUT the joy and love it brings them is above and beyond worth it.

WHAT CHANGED


I still have the same feelings about cooking, painful and unnecessary, which is disappointing. However, I now have a more positive attitude about it and am more confident being hospitable with others now that I'm a bit more competent.

FUTURE 


Now that I've accomplished cooking for an entire year I want to refine my efforts with efficiency. I'm going to start meal planning so that I can save time by consolidating shopping trips and align the process with our schedules to create ease. 

I encourage you to explore serving others in your goals and know that it's ok to share selectively (not everything is for everyone to know!).

Dress Beautifully Pursuing Your Goals

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: