Mar 25, 2019

Mamma Monday: Baby Blessings

Remember when you were engaged and you went from girlfriend to fiancee.  It was such a short time and then you'd be wife forever.  It's a sweet chapter as you prepared to wed.  I find pregnancy to be similar (well instead of sweet mine was filled with puke but special nonetheless).  Those you love are in celebration for you and send blessings of happiness.

Well this past weekend I hosted a baby shower (I'm starting to loose count of just how many over the past 5 years - don't drink the water!) for a dear friend from our church.  She's my age and was just married a little over a year ago.  We bonded over her sickness during her first trimester ... so much PTSD!  I did my best to encourage her and lucky for her it passed.
I was silently hoping for her to have a girl so that I could share Vivian Louise's wardrobe and other girlie things but she's having a precious baby boy.

I immediately raised my hand to host her shower - Mr is constantly asking me why I'm always so eager to host showers. Because it brings me great joy to bless others.  We all love to be celebrated and to know that I've contributed is an amazing feeling.


I find that hosting showers can be intimidating to most ....
My home isn't big or nice enough
I don't have nice enough serving ware
I'm not creative

I'm here to tell you that you can host a very elegant and beautiful shower regardless if you live in a mansion or have crafting skills (UGH I think 'Pinterest' showers are incredibly tacky)

1. I believe a home is the best place to hold celebrations.  It's personal and comfortable. No one, and I mean no one cares about the size or how fancy your house is.  Open those doors wide! As for room, ladies will gather together chair or no chair.  But I find you can always slide the furniture around and squeeze in some chairs (even if they are from your patio set, I've done it).
I hosted a bridal shower and my sisters baby shower in my 1 bedroom apartment on the second floor with over 20 gals - and we all had a blessed and cozy time!


2. I didn't inherit any fancy crystal or silver.  My china was my Mamma's and it's not a high end brand but it's more special to me because it was hers.  My silver was all purchased at my favorite thrift store here in Charlotte. I have two sets so that I have plenty for large gatherings. I have a few sets of tea cups that I will mix and match and can select based on the occasion.  I also collect vintage linens from this same thrift shop and use whenever I host.
Gals, if possible please do not use paper/plastic products. I know it will be a lot of dishes to clean and laundry but these occasions are worth it!



3. As for creativity, a colored pen is as crafty as I get.  I don't even color code my spreadsheets. I find crafts and 'Pinterest' type decorations tacky. Some colored balloons and bouquets of flowers are all you need! Favors don't have to be expensive or crafty either.  On Sunday I handed out sachets of gladiolus bulbs for guests to take home and plant. I've gifted tiny plants, soaps, lavender sachets, and nice chocolates.


You gals know I avoid my kitchen at all costs, so I always delegate when it comes to the food.  Guests want to help so include them by letting a few bring a dish.  It saves you time and mess.


Yes those are Chick-fil-a nuggets on a silver platter. #classy

I believe the key to a wonderful shower is to remember the reason you're hosting/gathering - to bless another!

Maybe you don't have a shower to host, but you could have your gal pals over for a meal or keep it simple and serve coffee and dessert sprinkled with chit chat.

Dress Your Next Shower Beautifully

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: