Apr 5, 2019

Friday Favorites: Colonial Home

TGIF gals!  This has been a week of the lowest of lows and joyful highs.  But I feel like that's how life is. A mix of good and not so good.  It can often appear that my world is nothing but happiness when you look at this blog and the sweet pictures on my Instagram but I promise my life isn't perfect.  It is however overflowing with blessings and remembering that and giving gratitude is how I overcome the lows.

I've sobbed a lot this week over the loss of a dear friend and will be celebrating her life tomorrow morning. I'm not prepared to share more than that but I will be most grateful for your prayers for the many broken hearts that miss her and love her.

On a more exciting note Mr's parents are visiting this week loving on us and Vivian Louise.  Family time is the BEST!

We've also had 4 different crews of contractors in and out of our house banging and shining up our colonial home! We've lived here for 6 months now and are working towards beautifying her in our own style.  Some of the work done no one will ever see, like the structural modifications underneath.  But we're slowly making changes. I say slowly because it's crazy expensive (and we didn't find a money tree growing in the back yard).

What our home looked like when we bought it.

The first phase was quick and more like lipstick on a pig or should I say cow ... there was literally cow printed adhesive lining in ALL the kitchen cabinets UGH! I removed it the day we closed. The counters and backsplash were replaced right before our offer was submitted so we didn't get to pick them out but since we are going to completely gut and remodel the kitchen they will get us by for the short term. And honestly they aren't bad, just not what I would have picked but again they're short term.  Day 2 after closing we had upper cabinets removed above the kitchen peninsula to open the space up to the breakfast room. HUGE impact.  We also had the entire interior of the house painted. HUGE impact! Our den had tan walls, ceilings and brown molding. That had to go! And the powder room looked like a murder scene with it's blood red walls. I promise I'm not exaggerating.

Next week it's all about the land.  We've being working nonstop on clearing out our landscaping.  I'm constantly referring to us living in a jungle because the overgrowth and ivy is so bad that it's exactly what it feels like.  We've cut down nearly 40 tress and removed almost and acre of ivy. Shivers! I HATE ivy.  It's the homeland for snakes and just plain messy and gross.
Tractors are moving in and we're praying to have pretty green grass for abby girl to play in in the upcoming weeks. IT's funny how those things become important.

With all this work I've rekindled my relationship with Pinterest so that I can be confident of our choices. Nothing is worse than being in a hurry and wishes you had selected different finishes.  Since I have a classic traditional style I'm keeping the character in the dental moldings, banister, flooring and other odds and ends that they just don't make anymore.

Side note: one thing I will NEVER EVER have in our home is the color gray. I HATE it! Even the word is sad. I try and remove it from my world in all aspects. Although our master bath has gray tile ugh It's new so I must live with it. I feel all alone in this hatred but I'm happy with having a style not like the rest.

Here's some of my inspiration ....


I've decided I want to add a rounded portico! 
I've forever dreamed of having a home with white columns and this is just the way to do it.
It won't take away from the original colonial style but it will look grand and add function with coverage from rain to our guests (and packages haha)


This is my formal dining room dream! Minus the chairs and chandeliers. 
I have a Gatsby crystal chandelier I brought from our first home, the formal table, antique buffet and gold mirror. 
All I need is the chinoiserie wall paper and drapes and ta-da! 


I've decided on a white kitchen - I know it's so basic but it's also bright and classic.
However I will not be doing a white subway tile backsplash.
I'm adding shiny pop with a copper vent hood over the stove! 


I LOVE wallpaper and Mr vetos it constantly.  I'm overruling!
I'm thinking light florals for our powder room.


For our Florida room I've picked diagonal white and black tile flooring.
It probably won't be marble since it's fragile and for a high traffic area that would not be practical.

I find it so much fun decorating our home and making it just right for us.  Your home should reflect who you are as well as making your life comfortable and beautiful!

Dress Your Home Beautifully

XOXO Sarah Louise








No comments: