Apr 22, 2019

Mamma Monday: Play Outside

Happy Monday! I don't dread Mondays.  In fact it's a new start to a new week full of goals.  Now that it's Spring and the weather is warm one of my goals is to play outside every day.
Except for this weekend UGH I couldn't wear my new birthday dress because it was 50F and raining Saturday night - I even had to pull a sweater out of my stored away winter clothes to wear Easter afternoon.  Hoping Mr can get out of the hospital on time Thursday and take me out for a drink so I can wear my dress! (not holding my breath though #marriedtomedicine)

Baby Vivian LOVES to be outside and I share in her joy of fresh air and sunshine!

Her first Easter egg hunt at Grandma's was so much fun! 
She was good at picking up the eggs and placing them in her basket. 

We just made a huge investment into our landscaping so that she can play in our backyard, we can enjoy meals outside and even host our friends over for barbecues and maybe even some wine by a fire pit!

Now, just like the inside of our home I don't want the outside to be cluttered with baby toys.

So, here's how we plan to enjoy the outside ...

1.  Go to a friend's house and enjoy their outside play toys


My gal pal has an awesome sandbox and thank goodness Vivian loved it! We're taking her to the beach for the first time in June and I was nervous she wouldn't like the sand.  The great thing about this sandbox is that when her kiddos are done with it she can turn it into a garden.
It's good to have time with other Mammas and it gives variety to the children.

Or to a park

Sundays Vivian gets one long nap so we can stay after church and play on the playground.
It's also good for socialization and learning to share with other children.

2. Get a few outdoor toys that are easy to store and have years of use.


We gifted Vivian this car for Easter and she is obsessed with it! It has a floorboard in it until she's big enough to use her feet to move it.  It should last us at least 3 years and it was only $40. She even pushes the cat around in it! We stroll her through the neighbor hood and she's all smiles.


This wagon is great too because she can push a load of toys out while I work in our garden.


She also adores her swing we hung on our front magnolia tree.

I also want to get her an inflatable pool like this one so we can easily store it away when we aren't using it.

3. Art - Sidewalk chalk, paints and crayons are perfect for creating masterpieces and keeping the mess outside of your home.  Color right on the concrete or tape paper down.  You could even get cheap sheets as a drop cloth or to even paint on.


4. Picnic - I'd eat all my meals outside if I could!  When Mr and I lived on the water when we were in the Navy we at outside as much as possible.  I plan to do the same here on our patio and on a blanket with baby Vivian for lunch.


5. Nature Hunts - explore different types of leaves and flowers around. Children find entertainment and learning in the simple things around them.  Sticks and rocks spark creativity! They can also help you take care of plants and a garden if you have one.





Don't forget shade!  We have lots of trees but need to add a big umbrella for the patio.  For times when you don't have any ALWAYS sunscreen and wear a hat!


When in doubt play some music for an outdoor dance party and bubbles! Lots and lots of bubbles make the biggest smiles :) 

Tip: Playing outside = dirty! So get play clothes at a children's consignment store, from a gal pal who's children have out grown them or somewhere inexpensively like Walmart. 

Dress Beautifully When Playing Outside

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: