May 17, 2019

how does your garden grow?


Welcome to our little garden!  When we bought our home one of the neat things about the property was this area behind a brick wall off to the right side between the house and driveway that the previous owners had used for a garden.  While my Grandma and Mamma have always grown fresh vegetables every summer I have not had the opportunity and quite honestly no desire to invest the energy.  But since the frame work was already here I'm excited to continue the legacy and to teach baby Vivian Louise about plants and watch them grow together.

Also, there is nothing more delicious than eating a fresh mater sandwich outside. eh maybe a slice of cold watermelon on a July/August afternoon!


She's become my little helper every day!

Here is what it looked like before ...



And Now ....


Here you can see our little secret tucked away behind this wall.


We had to do some work to this garden as the years had put some wear on it.  We took down the rotting wood fence than encased it and put up this metal one. Vivian loves to open and close the gate.

I also kept the cement bunny and large pot the previous owners had left in the yard and the silly cat that I found buried in the yard at our old house. Vivian loves them :)

I'm eager to remove the walkway and replace with some stone.


I removed all of the red mulch and replaced it with pea gravel.  It looks much nicer and helps with water retention, prevents erosion and keeps us a little less dirty.

As for the plants I purchased them at this size rather than starting from seeds due to timing and I wanted to set myself up for success.
I also was conservative to the number I planted, just 3 per bed.

I planted heirloom tomatoes, small sweet peppers, cherry tomatoes and in the left corner some herbs (cilantro, rosemary and basil).


I also had to pull up some of the smaller beds because the wood was in poor shape.  These 5 large beds will do for now but we are thinking next year we will replace them with new materials and raise them a bit higher.


I often say Vivian is growing like a weed and now I know the truth behind that phrase.  Weeds grow so fast and sneak up on you.  It seems like we are pulling them out almost every day but we are having fun doing it.

Tip from my Mamma: Save your coffee grounds and egg shells. They are great for the dirt around your plants.


Vivian and I have made it part of our day-to-day to spend time in the garden.  It has become so much more fun that I ever thought it would be.

Even if you don't have the space or time to plant a garden try a simple pot or two in a sunny spot in your home for some herbs or even a pretty flower.
Plants are something I love and have them throughout my home.  I prefer them to cut bouquets because I can keep them over time and help them grow. They also keep the air in your home healthier.


Her favorite part is playing with the rocks!!!  I have to make sure she doesn't actually eat one.  She scatters them and I enjoy watching her laugh and make a mess.


Dress Your Summer Beautifully with a Garden

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: