May 20, 2019

Mamma Monday: Strong as a Mother

Hey Mammas! Confession, I've had epic writers block when it comes to these Mamma Monday posts, so please send me some suggestions of what you'd like to read, learn or need suggestions for.
I had a dear Mamma friend message me yesterday asking me what my secret was to being fit.

So thanks to Christina I have something to write to you about :)


Here are some guidelines to which I live a healthy and fit mom life:

1. Earthly Eating
This means I don't eat things that are prepackaged or processed. If it comes from the earth I eat it.  ALL fruits, vegetables and yes I eat meat with lunch and dinner.  I bake or grill everything. Nothing fried. I also don't eat dairy not that I necessary think it's bad (well sorta) but luckily I just don't like it.
Tip: Salads are great but dressings can ruin their nutrition so choose wisely.

2. Balance Your Intake
If you indulge on date night or at an event you must do damage control.  There's only so many calories, sugars and fats allowed per week. #balance

3. One and done
I manage portions by using smaller plates and never going back for more.

4. Homebody
I rarely eat out! I reserve it for date nights and social events. And when I am out I refrain from eating chips, bread and other tempting items.

5. Sweat ALL 7
I exercise daily! I LOVE to move. I don't have a set routine but when the weather's nice you'll find me running pushing my sidekick.  I make sure to have at minimum 3 intense cardio sessions a week. I run and take group classes.
I do wear a Fitbit so I can monitor my activity.
Side note: I'm seriously thinking of moving over to the Apple Watch for it's unique features but the fear of additional 'plugged in connections' has me hesitating.

Tip: choose exercises that you like. I'm not a fan of cycling or rowing so I don't do them very often but I will push myself to take a class to give my body variety. Don't do something because you think you should or because everyone else is doing it.  Sweat sessions should be enjoyed! 

6. Lift
Weight lifting is epically important when it comes to being fit.  I pump iron just as much if not more than I do cardio.  Weight bearing exercise is extremely vital for women to strengthen us as we are vulnerable to osteoporosis. I also think muscles are soooo HOT! I feel empowered when I finish lifting weights.  And then the next day I feel like a feeble old woman with my sore limbs. haha
Body weight exercises are fantastic too! Think burpees, jump squats, push ups, pull ups etc ....



I don't believe in striving for perfection!  In fact I was reminded yesterday when trying to take a picture with baby Vivian Louise of our Sunday best and she was a complete wiggle worm, that the best is in the laughter and happiness of life. That IS perfect. (This is now one of my favorite pictures) Aim for healthy and strong not a dress size!

Tip: Work days make it challenging to fit in exercising so focus on just 2 week days and hitting it hard Saturday and Sunday.

I encourage you to take care of your body by feeding it healthy fuel and to strengthen it with regular sweat sessions.

Dress Beautifully with Healthy Eating and Exercise

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: