Oct 5, 2020

Mamma Monday: Sensory Box

 Happy Monday Mammas! You've probably heard of these snazzy boxes of fun termed 'sensory box'.  I'm going to be honest, I used to roll my eyes at them and their fancy title thinking they were an overachieving way for kids to play. I also shunned them because all I saw was a mess! #hardno

Turns out they actually are purposeful and the best part, they entertain your child for a VERY long time! I stand corrected and praise the box! 


Last week one of the Mammas in my MOPS group who's an OT shared with us about sensory therapies and how these boxes make an impact on development. She brought supplies for us to make a box to bring home to our littles.  

I drank the Kool aid gals! I'm far from a crafty Mamma but after Vivian played with the box it got me thinking about making seasonal/occasional boxes for her. 
So I went to the dollar store and target  (mamma's best friends) and picked up all kinds of trinkets to create a halloween themed box.  I'm going to make a couple extras for her cousin and a friend.
I'm already scheming a Christmas box with bells in it!


Now, the gal behind Busy Toddler has amazing ways to create activities for your little.  I also recently discovered this company, who has sensory kits and a monthly subscription option that would be a great gift.


While Vivian doesn't seem to have sensitivities, I'm using these boxes to work on counting and sorting. And she has a ball searching and scooping!

I prefer for us to play with the sensory boxes outside on a blanket. Less mess and I enjoy everything more outside. 

These are great to have for babysitters and grandparents!


To make one of these all you need is a container (Tupperware is great), a base: beans, pasta, confetti, (Some gals use sand, rice and lentils but that's just too much mess for me) and things to mix in: small toys, beads, pom poms, blocks, basically any small trinkets you find. Get creative, I even threw in those plastic tops from the pouches she eats.

Feeding a toy rhino a bean :)

If you want to get extra sensory, you can boil and even dye spaghetti or use jello.  You could start by hiding toys in large ziplock bag first then try a container. 

These sensory boxes are surprisingly fun to make and so enjoyable for your littles as they play and learn.
Even if you don't have kids, they make great gifts for nieces/nephews and friends.



Dress Your Play Time Beautifully

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: