Mar 1, 2021

A Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day - & How to get out of it!

Gals, this is not my scheduled post.  Today unexpectedly started off as a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Come to think of it, when do we actually 'expect' a day to be bad??

Life throws us punches, disasters and obstacles. Otherwise we'd plan for them with the means to prevent and soften them and then they wouldn't be punches at all. We'd just coast through life.  Those mountains we have to painfully climb have a climax of achievement that makes us better for it... and then hopefully it's all down hill from there .... until next time!


In real life, I am extremely private and present myself as one who rarely shows any emotion other than very bubbly enthusiasm. It's authentic happiness, as I am comfortable choosing to keep personal hardships within my very tight close relationships.  It's just who I am and the steel magnolia I was raised to be because that's how the generations of women before me were. It's not good nor bad, but me. While I'm honest with you gals, I'm not an open book here on the internet.

Confession: I did cry today - for 45 mins. And then 2 more times. It's hard to admit but I'm a human.

While I won't divulge the happenings of my bad day (Mamma said, "never ever air out your dirty laundry!") I want to share some encouragement for tackling rotten upsets. No matter how pretty things appear, we all have mess in our lives! #TRUTH

Here are 5 things I try to do when bad days happen ...

1. Jesus Take the Wheel! #amen 
    Stop, right then and there and pray. It may not feel as though you have time but I promise 10 seconds to ask God to take what's happening and help guide you on how to handle and speak to the circumstance is vital. It will help you NOT act out of emotion. Anger, defensiveness and frustration can all lead to increased hardship, hurt and there's no undo button in life.

2. Go Outside!
    Fresh air can do a lot of good.  This morning was raining so that was hard. Step out and take a few deep breaths. Look up at the sky and your surroundings. Taking in God's creation can be a refreshing reminder of his majestic power over all.

3. Give Grace!
    Most often upset will involve another person or persons. The best marital advise we received during our counseling was to give each other the benefit of the doubt.  Try not to assume or accuse but rather listen and ask. It can change the dynamic from hostile to apologetic. You catch more flies with honey. Ripping someone apart in efforts to be 'right' is a no win!

4. Communicate!
    Do it directly.  This is VERY important. Do not, I repeat, do not gossip. Gracious am I guilty! I know no one likes confrontation but if you are so upset that it merits sharing you need to do it directly. You may think you are 'venting' and seeking counsel but you're not. You're spreading your opinions to others and that is dishonest and hurtful even to the person you're sharing with. They can not 'un-know' the information and it can create perceptions of the other person(s).  It creates a he said, she said situation and I assure you nothing good will come. It also devalues your trustworthiness. If you'll share information about one person, you'll do it about others.  When it's done to you, you feel the hurt and will learn you don't want to do it to another. That's what it means when you hear that blessings come from hard times. We learn. We grow. We do better.

5. Forgive!
    We are commanded to forgive. We have received forgiveness and boy is it amazing! We are all sinful creatures and nothing feels better than being forgiven of our wrongs.  That means not holding a grudge and working very hard to forget and move forward with love.  It's not our place to punish or judge. 


Sigh, I know this is personal stuff and not what you're looking for or expecting on a 'fashion blog' but I'm a real live person that behind the outfits has a heart that sometimes breaks.  I know yours does too.

Do you know how to eat an elephant?? One bite at a time! Take each hour or 30 mins piece by piece. 

My prayer is that you find this encouraging for your next terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!

PS My day is getting better! This too shall pass :)

Dress Beautifully Even on a Bad Day

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: