Mar 22, 2021

Decor Elements for Every Room

When decorating my home my goal is for it to be pretty and reflect us.  We live here in this space so it should be a display of what we love and memories we've made.  There are several things I incorporate in each room that does just that.

Fun Fact: I rearrange decor ALL the time! So these shelves may look different in couple weeks. 

All of these things will add beauty and help showcase your style ...


1. Plants - Living things add life to your home. They actually help clean the air you breathe all while giving us little reminders of God's amazing power in creation. Choose pots that reflect the colors and style of your home. When choosing plants, think about what can thrive in you space/lighting and what you can realistically maintain.  Personally, I love Christmas cactus and fiddle leaf fig trees.  They're easy to take care of - just water and place near sunlight. 

My Mamma gave me this plant and the brass pot was a thrift find

2. Books - Literature enriches our lives and clearly displays your interests. Books show anyone who's in your home what fascinates you enough to read and learn about it. For Ryan, you'll find books on medicine, military and golf. For me, you'll find books on fashion, biographies of influential women, home design and etiquette. You'll also find copies of the Bible that are sentimental to us whether they belonged to a family member or were a gift. The Word is the most important and greatest book that ever will be!

These are sentimental Bibles to both of us


3. Pictures - Framed photos of the memories we've made are my favorite. I involuntarily smile when I see them remembering the he joy I share with my beloved family.  I encourage you to surround yourself with images of those you love most.  I also believe that while the professional posed photos are beautiful, framing the candid moments that aren't so picture perfect, perfectly capture life well lived!

I find most of my frames at Homegoods and for quality printing I use MPix

PS I'm taking my advise and going to update/add printed photos around our home. I'm so behind! When you have that picture you can't wait to post and provokes a 'frame it' reaction. Do it!



4. Sentimental Items - I have so many treasures that I cherish throughout our home.  Things that belonged to members of my family, people who have impacted my life or that were a gift. Sure, you can shop pretty items at the store, I have plenty throughout, but there's something about a piece that has a connection and story behind it. Of course you want things that align with your style but think about why you're adding it to your space. Is it because you saw it promoted somewhere else? Or better, is it because it evokes joy to you?! 
This pink floral plate belonged to my Grandma - it's cracked but reminds me of her
The cranes remind me of my Mamma, she loves birds and they evoke a feeling of hope and happiness
The Japanese find them to be a symbol of good luck

Note: When I do purchase decor I prefer it be from an antique or thrift shop!

5. Mirrors - They are the fairest of wall decor for their ability to reflect light, enlarge spaces and add style. I have them in every single room. Don't worry, I'm not living in a 'fun house'. They fill walls with unique shapes and materials without competing with my other items of color and pattern.  They make our rooms brighter and bigger. Often I find adding art or gallery walls of prints is just to busy while a mirror is streamlined and highlights what's already in the room.

I didn't get a good view of our mantle mirror but I purchase most at Homegoods or Antique Shops
Tip: Round or sunburst mirrors are a fantastic option for filling a large wall

Bonus:  I also like to add animal! NEVER living ones (an intense battle in this home - Ryan has wanted a big Lab for most of his life ... I kill his dream every day).  I like subtle animal prints and actual animal objects. We even have Brutus, a deer head, mounted on the wall in Ryan's office.  I love the nod to nature without the elements. Animals are majestic and their patterns in elegant colors and textures add natural beauty.

I recovered the seat of this old chair with soft zebra fabric myself
The Foo Dogs are from a favorite shop on the NC Coast - go shop Beaufort Linen Co NOW! you can thank me later :)
The cranes were found at Homegoods


Let the things in your home tell the story of you!

Dress Each Room of Your Home Beautifully

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: