Jan 31, 2022

You Can Admire it, Without Acquiring It

“You can admire it, without acquiring it” 


I find this to be very powerful!



In a world full of influence and pretty shiny things you can easily be filled with wants.


Stuff is in our face more than ever. I remember my Mamma dreading commercials and catalogs arriving in the mail because it would make me and my sister want new things.  Gracious there’s even more exposure than ever before with online ads and social media. 


This also applies to other areas in life such as someone else’s family dynamic, career, home, travel and activities. Thanks to social media and bloggers, we can easily envy someone else’s blessings.  Instead we should celebrate them.  You can rejoice for someone else without feeling inadequate or jealous.

The reality is there will always be advertising and influence.



I can’t even begin to count the things I’ve purchased (that aren’t even me or my style) because I saw someone else in it, it was popular or at a good price. The absolute WRONG reasons to buy.


How do we admire things without wanting to acquire them?


Truth be told, I don’t have a solution and struggle with this daily!

But I have found a few practices that have been a big help …



Wait

I like to leave things in my online cart or put the item on hold in store for a night.  Sleep on the purchase to really give it some thought. Sometimes the desire will fade.


Worth

Evaluate the cost/wear or impact. Is it something that will add lasting value to your wardrobe or home? Or is it a one time use? Does it fit in your budget?


Why

Ask yourself the reasons you want it. Is it because it’s popular, fancy or does it truly spark joy for you? 



What you have - What you wear - Where you Live - Where You Travel

These do NOT define Who you are


Dress Beautifully With What You Have


XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: