Oct 10, 2022

Art in Home Design

Art in your home can really add style and showcase your personality. While I primarily decorate our walls with photographs of our memories and loved ones I do enjoy incorporating art that means something to us and displays things that we love/represent us.

Note: Ryan doesn't give a rip about art - he decorates his office will all sorts of tacky man stuff and I get the rest of our home. I find this arrangement fair as I assume most wives do haha

Over the Summer I contemplate home design projects that I want to tackle once school starts and this one wall in our sunroom was one.  I debated several bold, bright colors to paint it but nothing 'spoke' to me and was solidified. Well, I was in Homegoods one morning looking for something far from art and came across this gigantic fabric print and I just stood there staring. I know I looked like a nut. I decided to take a lap around the store and give it more thought and I didn't make it half way across and found myself nearly running to get back to it before someone else snatched it up!

I have a feeling Trixie will be in a majority of photos taken in our home

And here she is, Frannie the Flamingo in our sunroom! I love it so so much that I am determined to hang her proudly forever. I love birds for a multitude of reasons and pink is my most favorite color. 

It fills the wall perfectly and adds the bold color I was looking for in this sunroom.

Here are things I consider when adding art to my home ...

Spark Joy


Art should speak to you and be significant. It should bring a smile and be a joy to look at.
I love seeing this big, bright flamingo when I'm at our breakfast table, in our sunroom and when I first return and walk into our home. It's just hard not to smile!

Size Matters

This is a small round print my Mamma found at an antique shop that I have in our guest bathroom.
The two little bunnies remind me of Ethel and Vivian's love of bunnies.

Consider extra large pieces as well as tiny.  They add interest in their own way. Large pieces can fill big open spaces while small ones add just the right touch on a table display or balance a gallery wall.

Sentimental

This is a watercolor of our home, painted by a young man at our church.
Art doesn't have to be on a wall, I often layer on shelves.

Art doesn't have to be created by someone renowned. Pieces from friends, family or the best, children, make the most beautiful works to display. I have framed several of Vivian's masterpieces in our home and as gifts.

I encourage you to incorporate art into your home decor!

Dress Your Home Beautifully in Art

XOXO Sarah Louise

No comments: