Jan 13, 2015

Mane Maintainence

My red hair is my most favorite thing about my appearance!  I believe that every gal should make a point to find things about their appearance that they love! It gives confidence and reminds us that God made us all beautiful.

I don't have 'wash &go' hair, it's more of a mane because it's thick, corse and I have enough for 3 gals! (my sisters tease me and call it my 'weave' because to them it's unnatural to have so much hair on one head!)

Another truth, my mane is also naturally curly.  I detested it's unruly texture most of my life, but over the years I've learned how to work with my tresses and use the curl to my advantage.  In high school it was a hot mess (I had no idea how to manage) - In College, stick straight hair was the thing (I sure did try but living in a beach town I was fighting an uphill battle) so for those 4 years I had a big frizzy  fro on my head or I just wore it organically aka 'skip the blow dryer and go curly'. 

The key to maintencing one's mane is to work with what you have and to avoid comparing - Everyone is different and by sticking to the natural you achieve the most flattering style for you. 
So for me I wear mine large and curled most of the time and just occasionally I'll put in the energy to straighten it out. 

Lucky for me I LOVE big hair - Higher the Hair Closer to Heaven! 

Length: For me, I keep it just below the shoulders and longer (pinning up is key for the gym and in creating a variety of style options & it's just too darn big to go shorter - I'd block the view of others at the movies!) 

Cut & Color: I don't trim as often as I should due to my Fear of bad chopping.  I was born a ginger but like blondes over the years it has gone from strawberry to muddy!  But because it's so dry & corse I use a semipermanent  wash-in glaze to avoid harsh chemical dyes and to give it some umph! 

Washing: OK here's the shocker ... I clean my mane 2 times a week WHAT?!!! AND I don't use shampoo ... I use a cleansing conditioner Wen.  It's one product that cleans and conditions but that doesn't use chemicals that strip the hair.  It takes some getting used to because it doesn't lather, it's like a thick lotion and you apply it by coating sections of your hair and then combing it through.  
You're probably thinking it's gross that I don't wash my hair (I have intense sweat sessions at the gym 5-6 days/week!) So I basically use a round brush and blow dry the sweat out and keep going.
I just don't have time to process (wash, dry, style) more often and it would just kill my hair!

So here's my routine:
Wet hair completely in shower
Flip hair upside down
Pull 1-2" sections of hair & coat with Wen concentrating at the roots and pulling through to the end
Once all of your hair is coated and comb through with a wide tooth comb
Let sit for 5 mins (get clean)
Add at little water to your hair and massage 
Rinse

After Shower I apply face & body creams and make up allowing my hair to air-dry a bit
Blow dry in sections using a paddle and large round brush
Clip sections of hair and curl with iron
Hairspray optional if so just a little (b/c I have natural curl it tends to hold without spray but for special occasions I spray lightly) It contains alcohol and can dry out & cause breakage


Mane Maintenance


1. | 2. | 3. | 4. | 5. | 6. | 7. | 8. | 9. |

Dress Your Mane Beautifully

XOXO Sarah Louise









No comments: