Feb 10, 2017

Friday 5: Decor for Every Room

TGIF! Today I am sharing with you 5 things I incorporate into the decor of every room.  But don't worry, your unique style can shine through each and every one of these!

I truly believe, as with dressing, that your home should reflect your style and who you are.  Guests should walk in and get a good feeling of what you represent, like and what's important to you. 

So here are my 5 things for every room ....


Books: While we may live in the digital age, books are the foundation of information, learning and adventure.  They showcase your interests. And coffee table books are great displays of just that.  They also make great gifts because there's a book for where ever your passion lies (Travel, cooking, history, sports etc ..)
Here's what's in my house ...
Hers: Design, Etiquette, Fashion, and Biographies 
His: Military, Golf, Investments, Southern Lifestyle

Houseplants:  They bring life (literally) into the room.  They are also healthy for the air we breathe :)  Pick house plants that suite your style - color, leaf shape, growth pattern ... 
I'll be the first to tell you plants can be intimidating.  You need to consider their needs and how they relate to your lifestyle (high maintenance/fragile = No and room lighting)  Succulents are super easy and don't need much water and minimal sunlight, orchids however are a bit more fragile.
The fig tree is my jam! I have several throughout my house and find them easy to care for and the big luscious green leaves bring so much green goodness to our home.

Candles:  This is a perfect example of a love/hate relationship.  While I like the aesthetics, smell and vibe they give a room, the fire hazard element scares me to the core.  Mr however adores candles.  I've tried to compromise with plugins and diffusers for scent but he loves the burning wax.  So I give in a little and carefully burn candles (but I pick the scent!)

Pictures:  I LOVE pictures of the ones I love most and the memories we've created.  There are sooooo many in every single room.  They are a visual of the relationships we hold dear and also nostalgic of times past. I print in black & white, color and stick with shiny metal frames.  Use the frame to align with your decor and style.

Mirrors:  I love using mirrors in my designs.  They make rooms feel bigger and reflect light.  And there's a shape, size and style for every space.

Dress Your Home Beautifully

XOXO Sarah Louise


No comments: