Feb 17, 2020

Hustle for the Muscle

Happy Monday - let's start this week strong!

And maybe a little long, I'm going to try and keep it as condensed as I can but there's so much to say ....

At the start of the year I asked you, my beautiful readers, what you wanted to see on this blog for 2020 and I was so surprised that one of the requests I received most was 'what do I do for my work outs?'.  Gals, I'm not a fitness expert however I do LOVE to exercise.  I feel accomplished, healthy, strong, de-stressed and it's so much fun.

Exercising isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle.  What I mean by that is, it's not an optional activity.  Eating isn't optional, clothes aren't optional .... exercising is as essential as water and nutrients to keep your body physically and mentally healthy.

I take the approach that God created me for His purpose and I want to make sure I take the best care of His creation so I can do His work at my very best.
I also remind myself of those that have physical limitations.  It keeps my heart grateful for the blessing of my body especially when I'm down and critical about it.

Exercising is as personal as your style. There's not a one routine fits all and there's certainly not a 'get rich quick' way about it.  It takes self-discipline and endurance.

Get Some!

HOW

When it comes to the types of exercise you do I believe it's key to have both cardiovascular (heart rate up at minimum 30 minutes) and weight bearing.  I see a lot of people gravitate towards just one.
We NEED weight bearing to increase muscle (key to metabolism), fight against osteoporosis, joint health and to achieve a firm/toned body (muscles are way hotter than skinny).
We NEED cardio exercises to keep our heart healthy, burn fat and increase speed/endurance.

Basically, you can't just be a runner/cycler and you can't just pick up heavy things and put them down. Do Both!

Tip: Find what you like and do it. While running may seem to be the most popular form of cardio it's high impact and if you don't like it you won't enjoy it. Exercise should be enjoyed! 
Personally, I adore running but only outside. I'm not crazy about cycling. So I rarely attend a spin class.  However I do try and attend one every so often b/c instructors are all different and it's great to incorporate variety. I may just find a class I like. 



WHAT

1. Weight Lifting
I love lifting weights, challenging myself to go heavier and making myself stronger.
I use free weights/dumbbells/kettlebells for my upper body and more machines for my lower body due to the amount of weight needed and the ergonomics of the exercises.

2. Cardiovascular
I run outside from 3-6 miles at a time.
I run sprints on the treadmill.
I warm up using the stair climber for ~15mins.
I participate in races every so often and have so much fun!

3. Classes
I attend athletic conditioning, cardio strength, kettle bell, barre/pilates classes and even a cardio dance class every now and then to spice things up.
I've even made a few friends in the classes I attend weekly.

Tip: Pinterest, YouTube and Fitness Blogs are great tools for exercises and tips!




WHERE

I'm 100% gym!  I do NOT like working out at home. I like the resources, atmosphere, classes, fellowship and of course the child care that come with our gym. It also has an indoor and outdoor pool along with a splash pad.

Tip: Gyms should be convenient (or you won't go) and fit into your budget.

When I'm not inside the gym I'm outside running, hiking, strolling Vivian or doing landscaping. I incorporate as much outside time as I possibly can!

I know that due to time (jobs, kids etc..) getting to a gym can be difficult so by all means find a spot in your home and sweat!

My at home equipment: Bosu ball, free weights, TRX, medicine ball

Tip: Concentrate on the weekends Friday-Monday and leave the weekdays for rest so that you can concentrate on your work/home life.

There are tons of online resources that can help you reach your goals and some are even free!
Here are some my gal pals recommend: Sydney Cummings, Bikini Body Mommy, Fitness Blender and Kayla Itsines is very popular.

JUST DO IT!!!!!

WHO

Your workouts are yours. Focus on your goals and what challenges you and no one else.
Grab a gal pal and be sweat sisters; report into each other for accountability.  If you're not comfortable with that log in your exercise in an app or your planner (I'm old school).
Tracking really helps progress.

I normally wear dark solid leggings but this design make me feel fierce ... and they're on sale!

WEAR

I definitely incorporate style into my sweat sessions but above being fashionable the clothes have to be functional . What I mean is it has to conceal, support and NOT move as I move.
Pieces that meet this criteria can be very expensive.

My Favorite: Leggings, Tank, Fitted Top, Shorts & Here, Bra, Socks & Shoes.

I recommend purchasing throughout the year such as a piece or two each month to avoid a huge receipt. I also believe that you should wear what works for your body and the exercises you are doing rather than what's cute, trending or what others are wearing.

Tip: I wash my workout wear independent of other garments on the delicate cycle and I never ever dry them! This helps them to last so much longer. My guest bathroom's shower rod turns into a hanging rack once a week.

I want to wrap this up (hopefully I haven't lost you yet) and encourage you to take care of yourself so that you can be healthy and energized because that allows you to be available to bless others!

VERY important Note: You can focus on ALL the exercising but if you eat/nourish yourself poorly it's all in vain. #truth

Crossing the finish line of the Hotlanta Half Marathon

Dress Beautifully & Hustle for the Muscle!

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: