Feb 28, 2020

Friday Favorite: Jean Queen

TGIF! This week was anything but typical. I'm still fighting hard against this horrible germ but I can feel small improvements - I can actually mutter sounds even if they do sound like a squeaky mouse but the all night violent cough refuses to leave UGH. I did made it to the gym yesterday for the first time in 6 days and gals it felt so good! 

You know what else feels good, when you find a great fitting pair of jeans! Since having Vivian Louise you can now call me the 'Jean Queen'. Outside of church and evenings out I'm in blue jeans Every. Single. Day. My sister was actually laughing because literally I do ALL the things in blue jeans. She even called me out on changing out of my 'nice' jeans when I get home from an outing into my 'toddler approved house jeans'. Several years ago she realized that there is a person who actually chills in their home in blue jeans.  That person is me #jeanqueen.  

Boyfriend - Distressed Mom - Demi Boot - Straight - Skinny
This picture hopefully showcases the differences in the leg/hem openings of each style. 

Now, this doesn't mean I own a bazillion pairs.  I have one drawer and less than 10 are blue, 1 pair is black and 1 pair is coated black. Now, when it comes to white jeans I have far too many and I have no apologies about it.  I'll share about those as we get closer to Spring. 

Gals, jeans are the workhorse of your wardrobe. They are paired with casual cotton tops for home, dressier tops for daytime outings with flats or sneakers and completely jazzed up with sassy tops and heels for evenings.  They wear a lot of tops making them versatile and worthy of intentional investment. Meaning, streamline your denim inventory to include functional and flattering pairs!

Tip:  I wear my jeans about 4-5 times before washing.  I launder them inside out and NEVER dry them. And I always iron out the wrinkles!

Here are the Fab 5 I wear all the time ...

SKINNY

These are the ultimate skinny jean (in my opinion) because the rise is higher holding you in, the color is darker with shading that adds contour making your legs look long and lean, the fabric has the right amount of stretch for movement but not too much that they loose their shape and slide and super soft with Tencel in them.  The length is crucial in a skinny jean.  You never want bunching at the ankle so if you find a pair that fits just right but too long - HEM them! Tailors can work magic to keep the original hem style.  

I've had this pair for a few years now and they are THE pair when I want to look and feel sassy! Skinny jeans are the perfect style for fun nights out with an embellished top & heels for a more polished and modern look.
They're also great for day with an more voluminous or tunic top to balance the proportions. 

STRAIGHT


These are currently my most favorite! And the most flattering on EVERY gal!!! In a higher rise and straight cut they are the most slimming.  These have just the tee tiniest amount of stretch and very subtle shading for a classic clean look. They skim the legs unlike the skinny which is like a second skin. This allows for easy movement and is extremely elongating on the legs. I'm petite and super self conscious about my legs and these help me feel confident in how they look. #winner


DEMI BOOT CROP


These are very similar to the straight with just a tad more of an opening at the hem which is ankle length on this pair.  An ankle length jean is hands down the way to go so that you can wear absolutely any pair of shoes you want! Even for boots you don't have to worry about shoving extra fabric in them. The little kick of flair on these is fun, modern and subtle which makes them more of a staple piece rather that a 'here today gone tomorrow' trend. 
I also want to add that button front is slimming on the lower abdomen which is a common area of concern for gals. I also think it adds just a little more shine and classic look :)

DISTRESSED MOM


Gals, these are my favorite fun jeans.  'Mom' jeans are all the rage! In a lighter wash, higher rise and straight/tapered leg they are basically what your Mamma wore in the 80's & 90's with modern touches.
They're super fashionable right now and not to mention crazy comfortable. I love the higher rise, looser leg and modern distressing. In fact they have a few new rips gifted from Vivian haha. These are a splurge but I was able to find them online for 70% off #winning. Normally I would advise against a wash this light as it isn't as slimming but in this roomier straight design they don't cling to the leg.  I've worn these casually and dressed up.

BOYFRIEND


These are more of a lower rise and much looser fit.  They're casual and don't really cling to any part of your lower body. The trick is to have them fit the hips and have the rest a little loose but NOT baggy! That would make you look sloppy and bigger. I would stray away from tops that are super fitted and supper loose because you'll create unflattering proportions. Opt for semi-fitted tops and a loose tuck to add some shape. 
Boyfriend jeans are great for day and weekends but I would save them for when you already have an inventory of the more classic jeans in your closet.

Blue Jean Baby!

Here are my tips for scouting out a good pair of jeans:
1. Darker wash with subtle shading - slimming & hides stains #momlife
2. Slight stretch - too much and they loose shape, slide down and too clingy
3. Mid-High rise - holds in place, flattering on your torso, creates small waist line & great for tucking.
4. Back Pockets hit at the bottom of your derriere - too high adds width and lower will flatten
5. Ankle length - allows for any shoe pairing

Dress Beautifully in Blue Jeans

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: