Feb 10, 2020

Mamma Monday: Finding Stillness

Happy Monday Mammas! While this is my favorite day of the week, I didn't start off as my normal bright eyed and bushy tailed self.  I believe it's because the calendar is so full every day this week and  the tight timelines stirred up some uneasiness in my mind on how I'm going to 'get it all done'.
In fact, I wanted this post published first thing this morning, sigh.

I thrive on routine and my schedule is very important to me #typeA.
I am dedicated to the athletic conditioning class at my gym on Monday mornings but I was invited to  a 4 week bible study at the same time and I'll be very honest I did NOT want to miss my workout.  But I knew my soul needed the study more than my body needed the exercise (and I can easily go to the gym in the afternoon ). I absolutely adore learning, growing and fellowshipping at ladies' bible study but my attitude was not enthusiastic about this one. I do not know a soul, which has never ever bothered me because I also adore meeting new gals #extrovert and these are as lovely as can be.  Today was the second meeting and I think I'm still grumpy about missing my workout. I even truly debated skipping the study (who would even notice? they don't know me) and even threw it out to Ryan over the weekend because I knew he'd tell me to go.  And he did.
And I went.


Rather than write this post during my 5am quiet time, I prayed that God would direct my thoughts, actions and change my attitude about the change in my schedule. I knew that going to the study I'd be blessed and that God would use me to bless others. We are called to be a community and fellowship.  We can't share Him with others locked up in our homes.

Sometimes she needs me! 
And that's an interruption I welcome with open arms

I have plans. God has better plans. And I'm grateful He will interrupt mine for His!

So today, I want to talk about stillness and the importance of finding it.
Our world is spinning so fast and it seems like all we do is hustle like mad! There's so much coming at us over the screens of our phones, computers, televisions and even cars. We're all chasing a goal or some picture of achievement in hopes that it will bring us happiness, peace and contentment.

“Be still and know that I am God,” Psalm 46:10

Let's stop paying attention to what's going on in the world, and listen to what the Bible is telling you.

We are fighting to measure up on social media, fighting the comparison that's robbing us of joy and fighting to be good enough to everyone around us.

Go to God, be IN His Word and you will be enough and have ALL you need.

Mammas: My Mamma tells me, that her Mamma would tell her, to relax during nap time. And she wishes she'd have listened. We race to get as much done as we can while they nap but it's ok to rest! Let's wise up and listen to those that have come before us!




Here are some ways I find stillness:

1. Early Wake Up  - For me it's around 5am (no alarm clock needed I'm like a rooster) It's so quiet and no one is around to disturb! I start with a fresh mind and heart.

2. No Screen Time - it's encouraged to limit it for children but just as important for us. I used to go to my car during the work lunch hour to escape the computer and phone.  Find a secluded place and don't bring your technology. Give yourself a break from the world.

3. Break Up with TV - I've let go of several tv shows I used to watch. It has freed me from the time commitment to watch something that not only wasn't edifying but that I didn't even like but out of habit continued to watch.

4. Go Outside - Fresh air, soaking up the majesty of God's creation is renewing! Even if it's just sitting on a bench to eat your lunch, a short walk or lounging on your back porch listening to the birds with cup of coffee I promise you will have a better attitude!

5. Night Time Journal - End your days with reflection and gratitude.  It's easy to be discouraged by the things you didn't accomplish or by what's upcoming to be accomplished.  Keep a journal by your bed and write.  Write what you're thankful for, what your feeling, and/or your prayers. Write what's on your heart.


Dress Beautifully in Stillness

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: