Feb 24, 2020

Turning Less into More

Happy Monday! Gracious I feel like I'm in a all out war against this horrific virus that has me with no voice and ALL night violent coughing for nearly a week now. I'm a fighter but I'm ready for it to be over!


Sunshine with my darling girl yesterday was the best medicine!

We are approaching the season of Lent this week and while this isn't a practice that I grew up participating in nor does my church now (I believe it's more prominent in the Catholic faith) I do find value in it's purpose. 

Here's a short summary I pieced together from google ....

Lent is the period of 40 days which comes before Easter in the Christian calendar. Beginning on Ash Wednesday, Lent is a season of reflection and preparation before the celebrations of Easter. By observing the 40 days of Lent, Christians replicate Jesus Christ's sacrifice and withdrawal into the desert for 40 days.

Jesus fasted during his time in the wilderness, and so Christians identify with his suffering by abstaining from particular foods during this time, including meat, fish, milk and egg products.

People have modified this period of fasting with the removal of distractions to gain more focus and prioritize time with God. Having greater intimacy with God is the reward of the sacrifice. His love and one’s salvation are not reliant on denying oneself chocolate or beer, but idolatry stands in the way of worshiping the one true God. These 40 days are set aside to praise and worship the Lord; to read the Bible more, and to pray more often.



I don't know about you but I have plenty of distractions from spending time with God! I also find that  there are so many 'thieves' that I allow to take my time throughout the day ... a huge one being the internet & social media.  

This year I've decided to fast from shopping for myself for the 40 days.  I want to put more focus into time with God and also into projects and in appreciating the abundance of what I have. 
This world is drowning us in the idea that we need more more more and new new new when God says He will provide ALL that we need. 

I'll be honest, it will not be easy and that's embarrassing for me. I believe it's common for us to take for granted our spending and indulgences when we swipe our cards and click the 'check out' button on our computers. Though I do not exceed the perimeters of our budget, it is resources spent in a luxurious and time consuming way.

This is NOT about loosing or depriving but about gaining and growing!


So here's how I plan to replace this distraction ....

1. Dive deeper into God's Word
I plan on starting a new devotional book (I haven't narrowed it down yet but will share when I do)

2. Complete Vivian's Baby Book
Gracious she's 26 months old and I don't even know where to start! I'm going to tackle 1-2 months a day of organizing pictures and documenting milestones. Then I will begin uploading them into a digital book and online storage. This has been a an ongoing goal but was just so big that I was too intimidated to start.

3. Home Organization
I have already used the Marie Kondo method on my closets (not the first or second time) which really ignited this fast as I realized I have far too much!  I'm moving on throughout our home.  I've even gathered Vivian's baby items and prepared them for a new home.

4. Read
Rather that going down rabbit trails on the internet or run around visiting stores I'm going to get back into reading books.  I did a lot of reading outside last year but put it aside once the weather turned cold.

5. Prepare Our Garden
The season is changing and I'm so excited to be outside preparing to grow delicious vegetables and herbs.  Last year was my first time tending a garden. Vivian and I had so much fun every day caring for it.

Let's roll up our sleeves and get to work on realigning our priorities!

My new year's goal was to be more giving and I'm hopeful that this will align just right.

And since this is a fashion blog, let me say that great style isn't about buying new all the time. Using the beautiful pieces that you have in creative ways is what makes great style!

I encourage you to embrace a period of less, whatever that looks like for you, in efforts to gain more!

Dress Beautifully Turning Less into More

XOXO Sarah-Louise

No comments: